How do I do this tank for shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry for posting on your thread since I don't exactly have advice, but another question. I just thought I might get a quicker answer here and also help you out with your shrimp questions as well.

I have a 1.5g tank that I want to convert into a shrimp tank. I plan on getting all of the proper plants and things. What should I feed the shrimp and how often?

if you want to be simple, feed them fish food. Like algae walfers or betta fish pellets. If you have less than 50, feed twice a week, remove excess food after 3-4 hours. (remove excess food because if there is no fish in the tank, the excess food will cause a explosion of critters, like worms and daphnia that generally your fish eats before we even notice)

back to the op, besides aquabid, this forum's classify forum is a pretty good place to buy plants, just post a wanted thread.

if you want to be simple, feed them fish food. Like algae walfers or betta fish pellets. If you have less than 50, feed twice a week, remove excess food after 3-4 hours. (remove excess food because if there is no fish in the tank, the excess food will cause a explosion of critters, like worms and daphnia that generally your fish eats before we even notice)

back to the op, besides aquabid, this forum's classify forum is a pretty good place to buy plants, just post a wanted thread.

excess food doesn't cause "a explosion of critters, like worms and daphnia that generally your fish eats before we even notice". worms and daphnia will explode if they're already present the fish tank. but chances are, they won't explode in population because they are every picky about water condition. excess food does cause an explosion of algae growth with proper lighting. it also cause increase in population for the pest snails if you have them in the fish tank. otherwise, it's just fouling up the water quality and spike in water parameters.

excess food doesn't cause "a explosion of critters, like worms and daphnia that generally your fish eats before we even notice". worms and daphnia will explode if they're already present the fish tank. but chances are, they won't explode in population because they are every picky about water condition. excess food does cause an explosion of algae growth with proper lighting. it also cause increase in population for the pest snails if you have them in the fish tank. otherwise, it's just fouling up the water quality and spike in water parameters.

sadly that is not true. the type worms and daphnia can come in both from the air and from the food you are feeding. So yes, there will be an explosion of critters if you over feed. I have 7 shrimp tanks, all kept with RO water, whenever i feed too much, little critters will start to appear.

also excess food rarely cause algae, generally algae is cause by excess photoperiod and inadequate co2 levels. Where your plant growth is limited by a certain factor, leaving excess nutrients in the water column, and thus an algae bloom.

sadly that is not true. the type worms and daphnia can come in both from the air and from the food you are feeding. So yes, there will be an explosion of critters if you over feed. I have 7 shrimp tanks, all kept with RO water, whenever i feed too much, little critters will start to appear.

also excess food rarely cause algae, generally algae is cause by excess photoperiod and inadequate co2 levels. Where your plant growth is limited by a certain factor, leaving excess nutrients in the water column, and thus an algae bloom.

are you talking about this? this is daphnia. it's a planktonic crustacean only in water, not from air
220px-Daphnia_pulex.png

try it.

Get start a new tank using pure Ro water with 0 tds remineralized to shrimp parameters. Put one shrimp in it. Feed it excessively. With in a week, you will see is diaphnia, then little white worms, then planaria, then seed shrimp.

They don't travel thru the air alone, but eggs are brought along by other critters that does travel thru the air.

in a shrimp only tank, these critters will always be there, but can be kept in check with limited feeding to a point where you will rarely see them. Excessive feeding will cause an explosion of them where they are everywhere you look.

try it.

Get start a new tank using pure Ro water with 0 tds remineralized to shrimp parameters. Put one shrimp in it. Feed it excessively. With in a week, you will see is diaphnia, then little white worms, then planaria, then seed shrimp.

They don't travel thru the air alone, but eggs are brought along by other critters that does travel thru the air.

in a shrimp only tank, these critters will always be there, but can be kept in check with limited feeding to a point where you will rarely see them. Excessive feeding will cause an explosion of them where they are everywhere you look.

i'm sorry to hijack this thread off topic a little bit but there's absolutely no way that you can put a gallon of tap water in the yard and a month later you find yourself some daphnia in it. i've bred daphnia cultures before. and the way to obtain some daphnia is going to a body of water (lake, pond, river, etc) and scoop up some water, possibly with other rotifers. then you feed them accordingly as they usually filter feed on algae and what-nots.

i will certainly try it out but i have a feeling that you're referring to the small larva of the insects that require a small amount of water before they turn into adults which fly off.

on a different note, there are worms in fish tank, usually too small for the naked eyes to notice. you will see then when the water condition isn't the best, or in my case, after a fish died and no filter running in the back. but as for daphnia, i find it very hard to believe.

Ghost or Cherry are great. Just to keep the tank busy/going with the carpet moss you can do ghost, but if you want to display have some fun/color, go with Cherrys, just watch what you do with anything that has copper, ie meds, etc around the shrimpys

I have daphnia, freshwater limpets and cyclops in in all my heavily planted shrimp tanks. I change 50% water a week, gravel vac and feed sparingly but I still have all those micro critters. My research has concluded that its not a negative but a sign of a balanced system, all my shrimp are healthy, happy and breed regularly.

as much as people try to get rid of them, these critters, snails, algae, and etc are all signs of a balanced fish tank. in fact, i would like more algae in my fish tank if possible. what the other post is trying to suggest is that daphnia can be obtained from airborne carriers, which is not possible. even the transportation of eggs by insect carriers is not possible because daphnia hosts eggs inside the body.

as much as people try to get rid of them, these critters, snails, algae, and etc are all signs of a balanced fish tank. in fact, i would like more algae in my fish tank if possible.

I agree, I leave all those critters be. All my tens I have on my breeder rack are covered in algae on three sides. I believe in healthy livestock more so than visually appealing tanks.

what the other post is trying to suggest is that daphnia can be obtained from airborne carriers, which is not possible. even the transportation of eggs by insect carriers is not possible because daphnia hosts eggs inside the body.

Ah I see, that's a new one on me.

as much as people try to get rid of them, these critters, snails, algae, and etc are all signs of a balanced fish tank. in fact, i would like more algae in my fish tank if possible. what the other post is trying to suggest is that daphnia can be obtained from airborne carriers, which is not possible. even the transportation of eggs by insect carriers is not possible because daphnia hosts eggs inside the body.

You seems to be misinformed.
Water fleas 'mail' their eggs from pond to pond - 16 July 2008 - New Scientist

Back
Top Bottom