How do i get rid of snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaAussie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 100g tank is overrun with little snails and I would like to know what will get rid of them. I have a couple of assassin snails but that doesn't seem to be enough. Ideas?

Snails normally mean that's something else isn't quite right. Could you post your parameters please?

Also check that you are not feeding your fish to much food. That your lights are not on too long.

There's loads to do. Assassin snails are cool though.

Clown loaches destroy snails! They love them but i wouldn't recommend getting any just for that, they are Awsome fish but get very big and are prone to stress and ick. So unless you was planning something like that anyway then yea try to get your water chemistry spot on and cut down lights and feeding to get rid of the algae like was said above.

What kind of fish go you have? I out some clown loaches in my community and they cleared up the snails in about 2 days. My tank was infested, they were getting in my filters too. It doesn't mean your doing anything wrong, my parameters were perfect and I still had them. You probably brought home eggs with a fish or live plants if you have them. The eggs are tiny, I got mine by netting a fish from a bag with eggs I didn't see and the eggs ended up in my tank and then it doesn't take long for them to get out of control.

I put a couple in intentionally when I started the tank. My parameters are perfect I have a planted tank with a co2 system, discus, rainbow fish, galaxy pleco, cherry barbs, albino lemon Tetras, electric blue rams, killifish, a black ghost knife fish, a farlowella, 4 albino cory cats, 2 ocy cata and a sail fin pleco I'm about to move. I don't want a clown loach plus they are ugly. The assassin snail have been stuck on each other for days hopefully mating but I should look for maybe 4 or 5 more. I thought the easiest thing would be if there is a chemical that will kill them

How about a dwarf or figure 8 puffer ? I had the same problem with my 15g initially. I got one dwarf n that's just right in keeping the balance

Cut back feeding and make sure there is a minimum amount of rotting plant material then remove them by hand. You're never going to get rid of them completely. You just have to find a balance. You can use a piece of lettuce to attract them then crush them. :devilish:

I got four more assassin snails am they seem to be doing the job. And doing it with each other.

AquaAussie said:
I got four more assassin snails am they seem to be doing the job. And doing it with each other.

Assassin snails eat each other??

When I got pond snails, I stood by my tank for hours with a net and picked out every last one and put them into icy cold soapy water. Then crushed and flushed them. Lol

Back
Top Bottom