How long do you leave veggies in your shrimp tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishSim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm feeding zucchini for the first time. It's a 1 inch piece. How long do you leave your veggies in the tank for? I have a 5 gallon RCS tank with about 20 shrimps.

Other veggies and times are welcome to be posted here as well since I'd like to feed them a variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, when I feed my shrimp and snails cucumber, kale and spinach, I usually add at night then remove in the morning . I've never had issues doing it that way.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Why do you feed the shrimps spinach at night?

Do they eat it better in the night?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My vampire shrimp eat mainly at night, so I usually just feed them then. It just gives them all a chance to eat.

Oh ok i have red cherry shrimps and i tried feeding them spinach twice 1 time they did go for it but the other time they didnt touch it much :/
and both times i left it overnight

Have you tried kale?

No I haven't I don't know what that is :s

Is there any thing else that they call kale?
Like how they call zucchini a courgette

I put a spinach leaf in the tank yesterday and left it overnight and it's still in there but they haven't touched it at all.... :/
Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No I haven't I don't know what that is :s

Is there any thing else that they call kale?
Like how they call zucchini a courgette

Not that I know off. I usually buy it in a bag, they're just green leaves. Sorry I'm not much help :)

Oh ok no worries

Do you know what I can do about my shrimps not eating spinach?

Oh ok no worries

Do you know what I can do about my shrimps not eating spinach?

There's not a lot you can do, they maybe don't like it? Are you feeding it so they get calcium? If you are what about trying cuttlebone? You get it at pet store's in the bird section, my shrimp usually sit and pick off it, or try calcium blocks I have them in my tank as well.

There's not a lot you can do, they maybe don't like it? Are you feeding it so they get calcium? If you are what about trying cuttlebone? You get it at pet store's in the bird section, my shrimp usually sit and pick off it, or try calcium blocks I have them in my tank as well.

Yeah that's the only reason I feed them that. But the thing is the first time I put it in it seemed like they ate it or picked at it but the last 2 times I have put it in they have touched it :/
Ahh ok I'll look for that when I got to my pet store next time....

Also if I feed them cucumbers will they get calcium out of that?

Cucumber doesn't contain a high amount of calcium, I do feed it too my shrimp I think it's one of their favs.

Cucumber doesn't contain a high amount of calcium, I do feed it too my shrimp I think it's one of their favs.

But does it contain enough for the shrimps to molt properly?
Ahh ok I may try it out.

But why is it that they aren't eating it? Is it because I didn't blanch it properly?

When I've blanched mine, I check to see if it's soft enough by using a fork gently, if it splits then I add it in.

When I've blanched mine, I check to see if it's soft enough by using a fork gently, if it splits then I add it in.

Are you talking about blanching a cucumber?

How would you check that the spinach leave is blanched properly so they are able to eat it?

Sorry no the spinach, just get a fork and cut the edge and if breaks easily it's ready. I've always done this for my snail's as well.

You mean if it tears easily its done?

The way i blanch spinach is i get some boiling water from the kettle and leave the leaf sit in the water for a minute and then take it out cool it for a bit and then put it in my tank...Is that fine or am i doing something wrong?

Yep that's right.
It should blanch fine that way. I put my spinach in a pan off boiling water and let it boil for 1-2 min, then I drop it in a bowl of cold water just for a second as it cools quickly then into the tank. Just make sure it's soft for them.

Yep that's right.
It should blanch fine that way. I put my spinach in a pan off boiling water and let it boil for 1-2 min, then I drop it in a bowl of cold water just for a second as it cools quickly then into the tank. Just make sure it's soft for them.

Ahh ok they way I do it always soft and then I put it in but still they don't touch it :(

Back
Top Bottom