How many shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am converting my old 5 gallon tank to a Red Cherry Shrimp tank. That is all that will be in there. I plan to start with 8-10. But how many can live in there happily? I kow they have small bioloads but at what number should I start taking them out and rehoming them?

Basically what is the max number of RCs I should be able to keep in my 5 gallon tank?

I am converting my old 5 gallon tank to a Red Cherry Shrimp tank. That is all that will be in there. I plan to start with 8-10. But how many can live in there happily? I kow they have small bioloads but at what number should I start taking them out and rehoming them?

Basically what is the max number of RCs I should be able to keep in my 5 gallon tank?

Depends. When it gets to being an eyesore I would remove some. Honestly in a welk planted tank with well planned filtration I would think you could keeo more than you would ever want. Fill the filter with matrix and purigen and plant the tank well. Generally 10 shrimp per gallon is the rule though if that is what you are looking for. I think 100 would be fine.

I am sorry but what do you mean by "fill the filter with matrix and purigen" I am not sure I know what this es or that I have ever done it. Currently my filter has a white sponge piece and then the a blue filter cartridge. The filter on the tank is an Aqua-Tech EZ-Change Filter for 5-15 gallon tanks.

I am sorry but what do you mean by "fill the filter with matrix and purigen" I am not sure I know what this es or that I have ever done it. Currently my filter has a white sponge piece and then the a blue filter cartridge. The filter on the tank is an Aqua-Tech EZ-Change Filter for 5-15 gallon tanks.

Seachem makes both of those and they are supposed to be the best of the best in filtration. Matrix is an improvement over ceramic rings and bioballs and such. Purigen is alot more effective than carbon and is reusable. Sorry about that lol

~10 is a good number to start with. Given that not too many die (this is pretty uncommon given the RCS's hardy nature), you should have a good size colony in ~6 months.

I have some in a 10g right now and counted some which was at about 50-60 and it still looks like it has enough space to hold 2-3x that amount. So 50-100 in a 5g should be good if it has a good footprint...I am not sure what the footprint but more is better given that most of these guys hang about on ground (or objects) to forage on.

Forgive my ignorance but are these two what I need?
Amazon.com: Seachem Matrix Bio Media 1 Liter: Pet Supplies
Amazon.com: Seachem Purigen 250ml: Pet Supplies

How do I use them? How much of each do I need in my filter?

Also how would I add them to an already established tank? I am moving my Betta form ym five gallon to a ten gallon and he has the same type of filter. It has the cartridge and sponge and I have been using it for a year so how do I change the stuff without messing up the cycle?

Alos one last question. I know you need to protect shrimp from your filter in take can I just put some panty hose around it or do I absolutely need a sponge? If I do need a sponge what kind?

Thank you so much for all the help!

~10 is a good number to start with. Given that not too many die (this is pretty uncommon given the RCS's hardy nature), you should have a good size colony in ~6 months.

I have some in a 10g right now and counted some which was at about 50-60 and it still looks like it has enough space to hold 2-3x that amount. So 50-100 in a 5g should be good if it has a good footprint...I am not sure what the footprint but more is better given that most of these guys hang about on ground (or objects) to forage on.

It is a 5.5 gallon and the measurements are 16 x 8.5 X 10.

Forgive my ignorance but are these two what I need?
Amazon.com: Seachem Matrix Bio Media 1 Liter: Pet Supplies
Amazon.com: Seachem Purigen 250ml: Pet Supplies

How do I use them? How much of each do I need in my filter?

Also how would I add them to an already established tank? I am moving my Betta form ym five gallon to a ten gallon and he has the same type of filter. It has the cartridge and sponge and I have been using it for a year so how do I change the stuff without messing up the cycle?

Alos one last question. I know you need to protect shrimp from your filter in take can I just put some panty hose around it or do I absolutely need a sponge? If I do need a sponge what kind?

Thank you so much for all the help!

Yes those are the. Though you dont needba whole lot. Just leave thd sponge in the filter to keep the cycle. Both of those can be out in bags.

Yup. Same here. I put that on the intake tubes of my HOBs.

I tried pantyhose once..but it got 'full' real quick and hindered the HOBs performance. I recommend squeezing the fluval sponge once or twice every month though.

Back
Top Bottom