how to build a crayfish pond from a kiddie pool.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have decided to begin this tread to educate people and learn myself how to build a crayfish pond from a plastic kiddie pool. i will be using the marbled crayfish and i will be using babies i recently got from my adult crayfish.

if anyone has any ideas as to how to do this please share.(y)

Attachments

• rock%20pile%20kiddy%20pool.JPG
    rock%20pile%20kiddy%20pool.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 23,071
You'll need stones air pumps filters and something to stop them from climbing out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

can a marbled crayfish live outside without a heater? i'm in placerville california

ok i tested it i put a babie in a 20 gallon i had outside overnight and he survived and i can add a heater to the pond as well. so my next step is getting a kiddie pool. the add a filter and a heater placing it and covering the tank with screen door fabric i have for making covers for my open to aquariums.

You'll wanna keep the water at 72 ideally. Over 60 to survive, drastic fast tempature changes could cause shock and death

i know the temp may change a little but the little girl survived in a tank without a heater so, i'm ready, and ill monitor temp and all the basic requirements to help people along, my goal is to learn myself and to help others learn to. i just know during fall and winter the pond will need to be indoors, but i plan to have them all out of my hands by them.(sold)

Looks like a fun project. I'd put a lot of thought into where your pond will be! You will want it nearby outdoor electrical, but you may not want to let it get full sun, and shade underneath a tree will drop many leaves in your pond. Covered porch would be best, in my opinion. Think about fish as well. You don't want to breed mosquitos in your backyard. I think white cloud mountain minnows are outdoor-hardy and hungry enough to help with that.

Also, I recently read a scientific article where the authors hypothesized that crayfish attach themselves to ducks in order to be moved from pond to pond. If your crayfish isn't local to your environment, an outdoor pond may introduce an alien (and potentially invasive) species to your area. Let me see if I can find the link to article (didn't make it up, I promise!). :)

Ok here's a link to the article. If it doesn't work the citation is "Waterbird-mediated passive dispersal is a viable process for crayfish (Procambarus Clarkii)" P. M. Anastacio et al, Aquat Ecol, 2013.

http://theoeco.fc.ul.pt/publications/Anastacio_2014_Aquatic_Ecology.pdf

Procambarus clarkii, the species of crayfish mentioned in the article are commonly kept in aquariums, but I would be wary of keeping other crayfish in an area that waterfowl could access.

Still, a completely covered porch with screendoors wouldn't let them escape to the environment.

Just came here to mention what kazin already did, Marbled Crays are an invasive species and it may not be legal to keep them outdoors. I know they're illegal to even keep indoors in Nevada and Missouri. Might want to look into that!!

Back
Top Bottom