how to get RCS to acclimate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
i got my PFRs today and i now have the bag floating in my tank with the lights off.

my question is do i add my shrimps the same way i add fish to my tank?
i know shrimps are a lot more sensitive so i was just wondering if there is a different way for me to add them into my tank?

Paulcm10 said:
i got my PFRs today and i now have the bag floating in my tank with the lights off.

my question is do i add my shrimps the same way i add fish to my tank?
i know shrimps are a lot more sensitive so i was just wondering if there is a different way for me to add them into my tank?

I put mines in a rubber maid container and just added a bit of water from my tank around every 3 min for 40 minutes then slowly held the bowl over so they wouldn't get rushed it and they all lived and are still alive

Better to either net them out or place them in the tank by hand. That way you can discard the water they arrived in just to be safe.

I acclimate mine pretty slowly.

I float my bag for around 1 hour, then add small amounts of my tank water for around 2 hours. This is due to my LFS having Nitrates around 80ppm. Then I net them out into my tank with tank lights off.

My tank Nitrates usually are between 5-10ppm.

Jon

Yah I think it would be smarter for me to do it by hand. Since the bag is so small and I have a big net.

One problem though.
I haven't done water change in over a week and a half. The reason why is because I only have mts and 2 guppies (which I'm about to take out and put in a different tank). My tank stays 0 ammonia 0 nitrites for about two weeks. So should I do a water change before I put them in or just do it a day after I put them in?
Im hesitating to do it now because my tap water contains ammonia.

Paulcm10 said:
Yah I think it would be smarter for me to do it by hand. Since the bag is so small and I have a big net.

One problem though.
I haven't done water change in over a week and a half. The reason why is because I only have mts and 2 guppies (which I'm about to take out and put in a different tank). My tank stays 0 ammonia 0 nitrites for about two weeks. So should I do a water change before I put them in or just do it a day after I put them in?
Im hesitating to do it now because my tap water contains ammonia.

I wouldn't worry right now as long as your nitrates are ok. Less than 20ppm.

Give them a few days rest before doing PWC then make sure you use a quality dechlorinator such as Prime.

Jon

Oh true since they have low bioload but I'm going out of town for a week. So should I do a small water change tonight? Like 10%?

nitrate was 0 yesterday. and a little ammonia but it was hard to tell. lol

Nitrate was ZERO?

Zero Nitrate is usually indicative of an uncycled tank!!

However if your tank is cycled and you know it for sure I wouldn't worry about leaving the PWC until you get back.

Jon

Nitrate was ZERO?

Zero Nitrate is usually indicative of an uncycled tank!!

However if your tank is cycled and you know it for sure I wouldn't worry about leaving the PWC until you get back.

Jon

sorry! i meant nitrite! lol

What about nitrate?

If your nitrate increases quickly during the week leading up to your normal PWC then I would do a PWC before you leave.

Jon

What nitrates does your tap water have?

Mine have 5ppm.

I would do a 50% PWC now. Then maybe a 25% PWC a few hours after.

Shrimp are great hiders. Generally if you pour your water in your tank at one end the shrimp will hide at the opposite end of the tank.

I would get your nitrates down again doing the above PWC so that's it's similar to what's in your tap.

That way you shouldn't have to worry while you are away.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom