I am a shrimp killer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably not main problem but part of the anubias plant is toxic to shrimp. If you cut the plant it will kill some shrimps unless you immediately do a 50% water change. It is possible to keep Anubias plants with shrimps but it is quite risky.

I've heard this rumor before. But never heard of proof. This was a thread with several experienced Shrimp/plant people denying this "fact" http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55892

Anubias are not eaten by many fish because they are thick and tough. But I haven't lost any Shrimp when I trim mine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396342424.254425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will never put RCS in a Betta tank again. Mine slaughtered the Shrimp.

Set up a separate tank for RCS. And you need ZERO ammonia to keep Shrimp.

Stop buying Shrimp for now.

I've had amanos with anubias for months.. No problems yet.. Should I be worried??

I will never put RCS in a Betta tank again. Mine slaughtered the Shrimp.

Set up a separate tank for RCS. And you need ZERO ammonia to keep Shrimp.

Stop buying Shrimp for now.

Thanks. I'm not adding any more shrimp until the water is totally cycled. My betta didn't really bother the shrimp. I had one tough shrimp that lived for 3-4 weeks (and several others that lived for more than a week or two), the betta would occasionally swim up to them and the shrimp would dash off. I have plenty of hiding places for them too. The only shrimp he may have bothered is some from the very first shipment that were so tiny I could barely see them. But I mostly accounted for all the dead shrimp. If they were left in the tank after dying, my mystery snail would eat them..but they were almost always there long enough for me to see they had died. On one occasion I did find just a tail. Poor shrimp :nono:

Sometimes they have molted and you see their exoskeleton, which can look just like a dead shrimp, the dead ones will turn pinkish to orange-ish inside the shell. It is alright if the snail eats the dead ones, but since you have too much ammonia you should make sure you aren't over feeding and don't leave any dead shrimp since they are nearly instant ammonia makers.

One Betta and one snail should not be too much load on a 5G, of course being cycled. I also would not keep a Betta with Shrimp if you want to keep and raise the shrimp. If you wanted to use a "feeder" Ghost shrimp as a tank mate then that would be one thing because you frequently have adults and if it is eaten, you wouldn't have lost much $, and wouldn't be expecting to raise them.

Sometimes the learning curve is hard and expensive. But now you know more and are learning!

Back
Top Bottom