I don't know what this snail is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
As with most aquatic plants I had some hitchhiker snail eggs on mine. I have some baby mystery snails, baby ramshorn snails and some I can't seem to identify.
I know that they aren't ramshorn, mystery, bladder or nerite snails. The shell is too flat to be a trumpet or rabbit snail. The shell looks like a clams shell of all things but it's definitely a snail. Of course they are babies so they are only about 1.5mm right now.

Does anyone have any idea what they are?

I'll include a sketch i made of it because my camera won't focus on them.

Attachments

• IMG_5782.jpg
    IMG_5782.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 73
That looks about right. Are they ok to have in the aquarium? They seem like good algae eaters (or at least the ones I do are).

Just saw this type of snail, I haven't noticed before

RED LIP NERITE SNAIL (NERITINA VIOLACEA)

You can do a google search on that line and the seller should pop up.

Just saw this type of snail, I haven't noticed before

RED LIP NERITE SNAIL (NERITINA VIOLACEA)

You can do a google search on that line and the seller should pop up.

Thanks, that means they won't breed in my tank either right? They must be slow growers because they didn't get any bigger over the weeks. But it does explain some white spots on my driftwood as unhatched eggs.

I don't think that red Lip Nerite is what you have described in your drawing. I think it's probably a form of limpet-like Nerite such as this.......

https://aquaticarts.com/products/marbled-limpet

I also think these are cool because they are small with less bioload and they are shaped in a way that they can be kept with more aggressive fish.

So if I wanted to get something like tiger barbs instead of rasboras they wouldn't eat the limpets? I rather like them (the limpets), they are amazing at cleaning algae.

Not too sure, I plan to read a little more about them, as I might want to buy some. An apparently if you have the white dots it could be one. If it stays small maybe a different type.
There are so many kinds of snails, and just very few with that type shell are offered for sale. Although doubtful it is a rare snail, it is rarely found in the hobby in our tanks.

Back
Top Bottom