ID on hitchhiking snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelmisty

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few days ago we noticed a lil snail on the inside of our 55g n quickly scooped him out...we did not get rid of him, but instead moved him to our 10g planted tank ...

He's a great cleaner n doesn't seem to be eating my plants, but i did find a sack of eggs this morning and I'm wondering if i should leave them in there or scoop them out? I wouldn't mind a few more snails and know this tank has been over fed...

Can any body ID this lil guy for me? He's a very pretty golden color but couldn't capture that in the pic...i know he's not a ramshorn...n doesn't appear to be an apple snail...but i have no ideas other than that.

ForumRunner_20130708_070341.jpg

oh boy oh boy oh boy, that's a regular ol' pond snail. it reproduces asexually and will multiply in no time. you really want to get rid of it immediately unless you love it so much or have some sort of use for them, otherwise it will show up at every corner of the tank within weeks.

ps. some use of them includes but not limited to use them for fish food

oh boy oh boy oh boy, that's a regular ol' pond snail. it reproduces asexually and will multiply in no time. you really want to get rid of it immediately unless you love it so much or have some sort of use for them, otherwise it will show up at every corner of the tank within weeks.

ps. some use of them includes but not limited to use them for fish food

I don't have a need for a colony of them lol...would love a few snails of some sort tho to control my algae blooms as i have the planted tank in a window and as much light as they get my entire tank is covered in algae...

If i get the egg sack n snail out which snails might you suggest to replace him?

Ty

nerite snails will lay eggs in the tank but they will not hatch because they need brackish water. they do heck of a job in cleaning up the algae. but my friend, with a tank next to a window you will not be able to get rid of the algae because it reproduces too fast for any snail/fish to clean up

how big is your tank? i can come up with a few suggestions to diminish algae growth depending on the size of your tank

Its only a 10g...and I'm not expecting 100% clean glass, would just like a lot of it gone... The natural light has done amazing for the growth of the plants...but also the algae lol...

I'd rather not use chemicals as i have a few ghost shrimp, a 1" bn pleco, and a few zebra danios (ik ik nothing special but our daughter likes them lol)

Its only a 10g...and I'm not expecting 100% clean glass, would just like a lot of it gone... The natural light has done amazing for the growth of the plants...but also the algae lol...

I'd rather not use chemicals as i have a few ghost shrimp, a 1" bn pleco, and a few zebra danios (ik ik nothing special but our daughter likes them lol)

since we're dealing with 10gal, i would recommend 3 otos and 5 nerite snails just to get things going. your pleco needs bigger space than 10gal

As the pleco grows he will get a bigger tank..i bought a baby specifically to help the 10 g... And although he does help...he's not doing enough lol...

Hubby n i will have to take a trip to the lfs later today...in reading I'm finding a lot of people suggesting assassin snails as well, any thoughts?

As the pleco grows he will get a bigger tank..i bought a baby specifically to help the 10 g... And although he does help...he's not doing enough lol...

Hubby n i will have to take a trip to the lfs later today...in reading I'm finding a lot of people suggesting assassin snails as well, any thoughts?

assassin snails are snail killers, hence the name assassin. unless you have a wild explosion of pond snail population you don't have a real need for them. they will eat algae as well but nerites are better IMO at dealing with all types of algae. don't get me wrong, assassin snails are good it's not doing them a justice without the pest snails;)

actually let me take that back. since you already found a sack of pond snail eggs, chances are there's some more hiding you're not seeing. go ahead and get a few assassin snails just in case

Thank you so much...the zebra nerites will match my zebra danios too!! Lol

LOL maybe just one assassin to take care of the possible pond snails ? cuz if i get nerites i don't want the assassin to kill them too

LOL maybe just one assassin to take care of the possible pond snails ? cuz if i get nerites i don't want the assassin to kill them too

there's reports out there that the assassins will kill nerite despite the fact that nerites are much bigger than assassins. give it a try, my fingers are crossed. pick the biggest nerites and the smallest assassin snail if possible. the assassins will team up to take down one bigger snails, so you want to be safe than sorry by: 1 making sure the two types of snails differ in size; and 2 only ONE assassin snail

Back
Top Bottom