ID something in shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my g/f saw this in her shrimp tank, there's nothing but shrimp in there but we added some new plants so I'm pretty sure that's how it got in there. What could it be?

It really creeps her out, I'm thinking that getting a fish would help, we had some success in the past with a guppy or two in the tank, it didn't bother the shrimp too much. Would that get rid of these guys?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG952098.jpg
    IMG952098.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 102
I had suspected it was something like that, thanks for your help. Do you think a guppy (adult) or two could handle these things popping up?

I forget what they are called but I think they are in the shrimp family I think! If I'm not mistaken they are beneficial to your tank. Again I could be wrong. I can't remember the name of them

I'm glad to hear they're harmless to the tank, however they do seriously creep out my g/f so I'll probably be getting a guppy or two for the tank to take care of them.

Explain to her that they are sort of a subspecies of shimp and that they have their own merits, if that doesn't work look at fish like some chili rasbora they're too small to bother the larger shrimp and large enough to do some epic mini hunts on the pods

Looks more like an Isopod such as Asellus... don't tell your good lady these are also known as water hog-louse :).

They are related to wood lice that live on land and are excellent at eating rotting vegetation etc.

I'm working on it :) She doesn't seem to mind the same things in my SW tank so that's a start. Maybe she was creeped out because we thought it might have been a mayfly or something.

Back
Top Bottom