ID the snail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up a few of these guys a few weeks ago from my local pond store. The owner said 'they are just pond snails' and gave me a few. Well, they certainly are not the little, brown 'pond snails' that I have in my tanks. Within an hour of bringing them home, one of the snails gave birth to a couple of babies! The adults are the size of large golfballs. Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• DSCN0197.jpg
    DSCN0197.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 73
jlk said:
I picked up a few of these guys a few weeks ago from my local pond store. The owner said 'they are just pond snails' and gave me a few. Well, they certainly are not the little, brown 'pond snails' that I have in my tanks. Within an hour of bringing them home, one of the snails gave birth to a couple of babies! The adults are the size of large golfballs. Any input is appreciated!

I've seen that one on live aquaria, its a type of pond snail. I can't remember the name thought it started with a "t" maybe?

Starka said:
I've seen that one on live aquaria, its a type of pond snail. I can't remember the name thought it started with a "t" maybe?

Looks like the trapdoor snail that they have on there.

Your welcome!
Funny thing is that I was just looking at the pond magazine this morning and saw the snail. Almost the exact same one you have!

The fact that they give birth to live babies fascinates me! Theres one in the pic- they are translucent when born then they darken & harden over a few hours. Such interesting creatures! :)

Yep those are Japanese Trapdoor snails, very cool little guys. They actually grow quite large and when they die their shells make great homes for shell dwelling African cichlids. There's a member in my Aquarium Society that collects them and sells the shells for that purpose.

I'll gladly send you some, Lynda, if they produce anymore! I have no clue how to sex them & I haven't seen any 'reproductive activities' yet....lol

I'm in line for one if you get babies. Right behind lynda lol.

Jlk you got some business :) Id be willing to pay lol.

Wow! I feel like I am missing out on something. Lol I didn't realize these were so popluar. :)

Haha!! I didnt realize it either! Ok- if the ones I have dont produce anymore babies soon, I will make the drive out to the pond store and pick up a bunch and start selling! I will keep everyone posted!! :)

Back
Top Bottom