ID this cray please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picked a male and female from my LFS. they said its a dwarf but didn't know what kind and the girl marked it down as a regular cray for like 2$ a piece.
Still curious tho. Is it just called a dwarf cray or is it not even and I'll be rehoming it when its bigger?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425940114598.jpg
    1425940114598.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 109
Seems like a marbled cray. Can you take a closer pic?

I'll try

yes its a marbled crayfish, i have one. do you think that's the male or female? do they both look like that?

yes its a marbled crayfish, i have one. do you think that's the male or female? do they both look like that?

I think thats the male. One has the big fighter claws and the other doesnt which is why I thought they were male/female.

I thought marbeled were all female though? Thats how they cloned. I honestly hope they arent cloning ones, dont feel like another infestation plus I read those are heavy plant eaters. I see these guys graze the bottom for food. I was feeding them cichilid and frog pellets last night with zero problems.

They are cloning. Makes for a nice treat for your fish. I believe you might be confusing the larger "fighter claws" with fiddler crabs. I've kept several species of crayfish and never saw any claw differentiation between the male or female. Not sure about the exact sex of marbled crayfish but sexual crayfish can be differentiated by looking for the little claspers under the crayfish. Claspers=male. Do a Google Image search to see what I'm talking about.

well marbled crays like were said are self cloning meaning they don't need a mate, in fact they can't mate they cant reproduce with other crays, because they are all female, so do both of the crays look like that. pls post a picture of both of them.

well marbled crays like were said are self cloning meaning they don't need a mate, in fact they can't mate they cant reproduce with other crays, because they are all female, so do both of the crays look like that. pls post a picture of both of them.

the only difference is one has two big front claws and the other has just two little tiny ones.
Perhaps one lost theirs in a battle and just has smaller new ones then.
Other than that they are exactly alike.

Well I guess if theyre marble crays I got a good deal then.

then i think they are both marbled crays and both female, and you will have babies in like 2-3 months

Sadly no the plants wont be safe they tend to shred them up. What type of fish do you keep, are they big? They would be great if you have carnivorous fish because the marbled cray would be a great food source.

Sadly no the plants wont be safe they tend to shred them up. What type of fish do you keep, are they big? They would be great if you have carnivorous fish because the marbled cray would be a great food source.

Ive got a mix of diff fish. For what I paid I'll keep and eye on them and rehome if need be. Sucks but so far they seem most attracted to pellets

Rams will prob eat the babies

Ooooooooh this sounds good for my snail issue. My dwarf orange used to go for my MTS snails.

"Feeding

The diet of the marbled crayfish is mainly vegetarian, and it will eat most live plants found in aquariums, particularlyAnacharis*and*Cabomba.*It is my experience that marbled crayfish will not chase and eat aquarium fishes, unlike other crayfish species. They will, however, eat bloodworms and very finely chopped pieces of calf liver when mixed in with a vegetarian diet. Marmorkrebs also enjoy eating aquarium snails of all sizes and are very good to use for wiping out snail populations in overrun tanks. Interestingly, it is also possible to modify the color of this crayfish species with their diet. For example, feeding green-colored algae tablets over time will cause the entire animal to take on green colors. Likewise, feeding foods rich in the pigment astaxanthin,which is found in red algae such as*Haematococcus pluvialis,*will cause the crayfish to turn cherry red."

I can always use veggies and algea wafers to lure them from my plants. Fingers crossed

well can you post pictures of both, they will eat live plants, and they crays wont eat the young.

well can you post pictures of both, they will eat live plants, and they crays wont eat the young.

I was trying but they hide most of the time as expected.

On a side note though, the rep at the LFS said they were in that tank for a WHILE and there were no babies. If they were true marbled crays wouldnt they have spawned after a couple weeks?

Marbled are extremely peaceful won't attack anything unless they're berried and something gets too close then snip

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

mine is giveing birth right now,:dance::dance::dance: yay, but the crayfish can be berried for between 22 and 42 days mine is giving birth on day 25, but if you see eggs under the tail that means shes berried and will stay hidden for the next few weeks. but try and lift up the cave and take some pictures and if you get a good shot of the eggs i can tell how long about or if you have eggs

heres a closer pic of the other one. If you notice it doesnt have the big front claws. So maybe they are broken off?

Attachments

• IMG_20150311_131441.jpg
    IMG_20150311_131441.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 90
Yep get ready for lots of mini cray lol looks like a marbled to me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

oh well. Im sure my rams will love them, they eat almost all my shrimp when the opportunity arises.
So long as they dont eat up my plants we'll be fine. Maybe Ill throw a baby in my puffer tank.

Back
Top Bottom