ideal size shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxiwilliams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what's an ideal size shrimp tank for a person beginning to breed shrimp in a separate shrimp tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

10 gallons is a good starting size as they're sensitive to poor water quality, but assuming you keep up with your PWCs a 5g would work fine too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I keep mine in a 6.6G and 12G Edge tanks, also kept some small ones in a 2.5G, but not for breeding.

A basic 10G would work great I think, for breeding.

I think that a tank that would be cycled and stable, in other words, mature, for a 5G. Otherwise you are likely to have water problems and maybe dead shrimp.

It would depend on the size of the start up colony like 10 shrimp (5G) vs. 50 (10G).

If you are wanting to breed you will likely need to cull. So you will need to also decide if you need another tank for the less than ideal ones, the culls (unless you have pretty small fish in a tank already to keep them with), or what your plans are for them.

I agree with the comments so far. I wanted to emphasize Autumn's point about the tank being cycled and stable. I have a colony of rcs in a 40b that is only about 1/4 filled with no filtration. There's a lot of mosses and other plants in there. Either way the shrimp have been doing great in there for over a month now. I'm moving them in the next few days but my plans were put on hold for a few weeks before this. I got most of my other creatures moved around but since these guys are doing so well I left them as-is to let their new tank get some age to it before I add them.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Back
Top Bottom