Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Identify Baby Snail

So, I recently purchased some plants online, and they came with a single baby snail!! I know thatís an unusual thing to get exited about, but Iíve actually been wanting to buy a snail for one of my aquariums. What I donít want, however, is a tank-overrun! About a year ago I got a single acute bladder pond snail, and I loved it! The problem was that once it got old enough it started CLONING itself and laying eggs without another snail partner!!! I was able to get the snail/eggs all out of the tank. Needless to say, Iíd like to be able to keep THIS new snail once it reaches adulthood. I just donít know what kind of snail it is. Most likely itís a pest snail, but there could be a chance I ended up with a friendly little apple snail or something, right? But to me it looks more like a ramshorn? Honestly, I have no idea. Iíve never posted images in this forum before, so I donít know if I did it right; but I included some pictures of said snail in question. If anybody might know what it is Iíd appreciate any information! Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	311032
Attachment 1

Old 11-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ooops, disregards the second photo... I have no idea how that ended up there. I donít even own a saltwater aquarium! Lol

Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a ramshorn, if you over feed then they will over run your tank. But they can be handy little guy's for cleaning up! I have them in both my tank and i control the population or I'd have loads lol
Old 11-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hmmm, okay, makes sense. I guess Iíll make it itís own little aquarium or put it in my 10-gal until it starts laying eggs and then see if anybody wants to buy/be gifted a very rapidly reproducing snail! My tanks have so much algae even if I didnít feed them at all, a whole colony would probably have enough food for at least a few months.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you need nerites. They don't reproduce in freshwater and they clean up well.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aww, theyíre so pretty! Maybe Iíll buy some someday!
Old 11-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just had a thought, is there any way to tell what color this snail is going to be or do I have to wait for it to get bigger and just see? Itís brownish, clearish right now with some darker stripes on the other side. Does that mean it will be brown as an adult?
Old 11-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Pretty much what you have now will get bigger and maybe get a bit brighter with some yummy greens.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi, all! I have another question about my snail, and figured I should probably use the existing thread to address it instead of making a new one?
Anyway, as we established, I have a cute little ramshorn snail. What I think is weird though is that it almost always carries its shell horizontally.
Iíve been reading online and someone said there are Ďcommoní ramshorn snails, there are Ďgiantí ones (which are actually mutant apple snails), and then one other type that stay smaller, are more translucent, and carry their shells horizontally. That sounds a lot like my snail! Does anybody know about this third type of ramshorn? Iíve never heard anybody else mention it before. Iíll post another picture of my snail for identification. Itís grown a lot! It also has algae on its shell
Old 11-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7141.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	311151
Picture!

Tags
baby, identify, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com