Identify Baby Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I recently purchased some plants online, and they came with a single baby snail!! :D I know that’s an unusual thing to get exited about, but I’ve actually been wanting to buy a snail for one of my aquariums. What I don’t want, however, is a tank-overrun! About a year ago I got a single acute bladder pond snail, and I loved it! The problem was that once it got old enough it started CLONING itself and laying eggs without another snail partner!!! I was able to get the snail/eggs all out of the tank. Needless to say, I’d like to be able to keep THIS new snail once it reaches adulthood. I just don’t know what kind of snail it is. Most likely it’s a pest snail, but there could be a chance I ended up with a friendly little apple snail or something, right? :) But to me it looks more like a ramshorn? Honestly, I have no idea. I’ve never posted images in this forum before, so I don’t know if I did it right; but I included some pictures of said snail in question. If anybody might know what it is I’d appreciate any information! Thanks in advance!

IMG_0001.jpg
View attachment 1

Ooops, disregards the second photo... I have no idea how that ended up there. I don’t even own a saltwater aquarium! Lol

It's a ramshorn, if you over feed then they will over run your tank. But they can be handy little guy's for cleaning up! I have them in both my tank and i control the population or I'd have loads lol

Hmmm, okay, makes sense. I guess I’ll make it it’s own little aquarium or put it in my 10-gal until it starts laying eggs and then see if anybody wants to buy/be gifted a very rapidly reproducing snail! [emoji23] My tanks have so much algae even if I didn’t feed them at all, a whole colony would probably have enough food for at least a few months.

Sounds like you need nerites. They don't reproduce in freshwater and they clean up well.

Just had a thought, is there any way to tell what color this snail is going to be or do I have to wait for it to get bigger and just see? It’s brownish, clearish right now with some darker stripes on the other side. Does that mean it will be brown as an adult?

Hi, all! I have another question about my snail, and figured I should probably use the existing thread to address it instead of making a new one?
Anyway, as we established, I have a cute little ramshorn snail. What I think is weird though is that it almost always carries its shell horizontally.
I’ve been reading online and someone said there are ‘common’ ramshorn snails, there are ‘giant’ ones (which are actually mutant apple snails), and then one other type that stay smaller, are more translucent, and carry their shells horizontally. That sounds a lot like my snail! Does anybody know about this third type of ramshorn? I’ve never heard anybody else mention it before. I’ll post another picture of my snail for identification. It’s grown a lot! It also has algae on its shell :(

Oh, haha. I just looked up ‘miniature ramshorn snail’ and came up with ‘Planorbis arnoldi’. Pretty sure this is what I have. Seems like it’s even more likely to overrun an aquarium :(

Yes there is a sideways shell Ramshorn. Can't recll off the top of my head the Latin name. It isn't a mutant apple.

There is another very large Ramshorn snail with a creamy yellowish shell with dark chestnut line which follows the curl. Maybe up to 2 -3 inches tall/ around. And upright shape. THey can be plant eaters. Some keepers say no problem with that and some say they eat alot, or only certain plants and leave others alone.

There really are so many kinds of snails which seem so similar and come from all over the world.

Back
Top Bottom