Incongestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syywong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My blue velvet shrimps are always clear/see thru unless there are eggs. But I have one shrimp that is completely filled in the gut. It's not like this in the past. Here is the picture of the shrimp I am talking on the top image. I put a picture of my other blue velvets below for comparison. It's not a color band and it's not a light reflection.

Can anyone advise what the white stuff inside is? Thanks very much! IMG_4647.jpg

I'm thinking that generally whitened tissue in crustaceans is a sign of an infection. I could be wrong (and hope I am).

I'm thinking that generally whitened tissue in crustaceans is a sign of an infection. I could be wrong (and hope I am).

Seriously?!?! No pls.... I have to quarantine it then? I don't have another tank to do it properly.... sigh.

Quick update. I quarantined the infected shrimp for a while thinking it will die in a few days. Well it's still alive and moving around like normal. The internal body is still white completely though. I don't know why it's not dead yet.

I've seen quite a few shrimps slowly turn white and die over the course of a few days. I hope your little blue friend survives but be prepared for it to die.

I don't see anything around the nose/eye. Just the inside of the body is white. It's still very alive after almost 2 weeks. I don't know what to do with it in the quarantine tank.

Another update: my "white" blue velvet shrimp is still very alive and normal. I decided to put it back to my regular shrimp tank. It's been alone for too long and I feel bad for it. Even if it's going to die, I hope it dies with a friend nearby.

Good luck with this and I hope it dies alone. Context for those just reading this: discolored shrimp with potential bacterial infection, moved from DT (display tank) to QT and back to DT; hoping that when it dies that nothing was spread to the other healthy shrimp in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom