Indian Almond leaves / Bark / Alder Cones? Which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am having some issue with my pH. I use Distilled water reminilized by Sl Aqua. However my pH is 7. I have Taiwan Bees which prefer lower ph so I need to put down my pH. I have driftwoods already. Shopkeeper suggested me three options for healthy shrimp tank.

Indian almond (Catappa) leaves.

Indian almond (Catappa) bark.

Alder Cones.

I don't like tannins in water and prefer water crystal clear. Kindly suggest me which option is best for me? Product which produces less tannins but should be effective. Also how much to use for 5 gallon of water?

Thanks

ADA Amazonia but I think its worn out because was used tap water for like three months as it had only cherry shrimps before.

Sounds like you need to replace the substrate. You should consider ADA Amazonia Light (less ammonia) or Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit (little to no ammonia).
If not, you could use the items listed in the first post. Though you may dislike the appearance, it is the tannins that bring the pH down.

Sounds like you need to replace the substrate. You should consider ADA Amazonia Light (less ammonia) or Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit (little to no ammonia).
If not, you could use the items listed in the first post. Though you may dislike the appearance, it is the tannins that bring the pH down.
I see. Thanks. Its hard to replace soil. Tank is established and will be distributed. Will see.
Don't add so much re-min compound
I add according to the desired Gh. I don't add much

Alder cones will be minimal tannins just add a couple a week or so.
Thanks. Now I need huge huge advise. As I told my pH was 7 but I found out the reason. There were two rocks hidden inside the pearlgrass which I removed and I obviously removed them. I didn't know they were there.

Also I added another piece of driftwood. Now my pH is 6.5 which is good but I want to drop it to 6 hence for Bees the recommended pH is 5.5 to 6.5 so I don't want to go to the border. I need something that can bring down pH to 0.5 more so I can have a 6 pH. Will a single nano Indian almond leaf do the job or you suggest Alder Cones? Now I don't need something which have drastic effects. Just minimal. Please advise and if you suggest Alder Cones how many and I don't understand what you mean by leaving in for a week only? Aren't they supposed to be leave in always?

If you add just a couple per week it will be constant lower level amount of tannins, so light color in the water, but will stay clear.

Yes leave in the tank.

Perhaps something to consider is obtaining a new tank and getting it set up with something like Amazonia light or other as mentioned.

It helps keep the pH lower and would be a good move, but it is important to develop a matured tank before moving the shrimp to their new home, if that would be a way you would want to go.

Long term best option for lowest pH is improving the substrate choice.

If you add just a couple per week it will be constant lower level amount of tannins, so light color in the water, but will stay clear.

Yes leave in the tank.

Perhaps something to consider is obtaining a new tank and getting it set up with something like Amazonia light or other as mentioned.

It helps keep the pH lower and would be a good move, but it is important to develop a matured tank before moving the shrimp to their new home, if that would be a way you would want to go.

Long term best option for lowest pH is improving the substrate choice.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. This new driftwood is not new I switched it from my other established tank and its not giving any tannins and water is crystal clear.

Also now I think my substrate is good as the "rocks" were culprit. Once they are out the pH went down.

This tank is like six months old. I don't want to spend more money right now. Maybe something to lower ph only a little. I can let it as it is too as pH is within accepted range. But lowering it will enhance breeding. I am confused between Alder Cones and Catappa Leaves.

Alder cones look like tiny 1-1.5cm pine cones.

Catappa leaves and IAL are the same it seems.

The pic here has the bloom and cones
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder
Thanks for the link and yeah Catappa leaves is just another name for Indian almond leaves. If you were in my shoes and what would you use? Alder Cones or Indian almond leaves? PH is 6.5 and I need it to be 6
They will be fine at 6.5 pH and will adapt to 7.0 pH IMO
Yes they will but low pH enhance there breeding behavior so I hope I can reach a pH of 6.

I would add either. IAL chopped up so you can control the amount added. I would put aesthetics aside if you want to get to the target pH.

What the tank will physically look like to you or I.
Thanks. Sorry English is not my native language. Yes I want them to thrive now rather than crystal clear water.

Back
Top Bottom