Interbreeding shrimp problems? Kinda need a quick response please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I found a shrimp breeder in my area
He offers:
Red cherry shrimp
Yellow shrimp
Blue pearl shrimp
I see they have the common starting of the scientific name Neocaridina so basically the same shrimp just color variation?
I have a cycled 10 gallon and I plan on either just cherries or put all three types
Will there be a problem with having all three in here breeding? Since there different colors?
Thanks!

Fishandmusic81 said:
Ok so I found a shrimp breeder in my area
He offers:
Red cherry shrimp
Yellow shrimp
Blue pearl shrimp
I see they have the common starting of the scientific name Neocaridina so basically the same shrimp just color variation?
I have a cycled 10 gallon and I plan on either just cherries or put all three types
Will there be a problem with having all three in here breeding? Since there different colors?
Thanks!

I believe when they breed together, the offspring will be the natural yucky brown color. I might be thinking of something else though, I'd just pick a type

George9 said:
I believe when they breed together, the offspring will be the natural yucky brown color. I might be thinking of something else though, I'd just pick a type

Yeah I thought so bummer lol
Cherries it is!

Fishandmusic81 said:
Lol yeah
And I've seen a lot of people have crs and RCS together so I'm guessing no problem?

I could be wrong, but aren't they the same? red cherry shrimp, and cherry red shrimp?

I think that crs means Crystal Red Shrimp. I don't think crs and rcs will interbreed, but i heard that crs do better in lower pH water.

fishdude25 said:
I think that crs means Crystal Red Shrimp. I don't think crs and rcs will interbreed, but i heard that crs do better in lower pH water.

Pfft, sorry lol. That is right.

From what I've read and seen is that you can have crs with RCS once the tank is established and aged so in my case my tank is cycled so get the RCS and a few months later add the crs?

CRS and RCS don't interbreed. CRS are more sensitive so yes they should be added last. I've heard that mixing different neocaridina species results in wild type offspring, but I only know of a couple people who have mixed them. Even if it does result in a lot of wild type offspring, it's not really a big deal unless you were planning to keep strains separate to sell the offspring.

jetajockey said:
CRS and RCS don't interbreed. CRS are more sensitive so yes they should be added last. I've heard that mixing different neocaridina species results in wild type offspring, but I only know of a couple people who have mixed them. Even if it does result in a lot of wild type offspring, it's not really a big deal unless you were planning to keep strains separate to sell the offspring.

Awesome good to hear they don't
And no I don't think I'll sell maybe sell them to my lfs they always need more RCS so I guess I'll keep it strictly cherries

I have RCS as well as a few Dwarf Tiger shrimp and each seem to keep to their own. But I really find shrimp of all sorts not only amazing but a joy to watch as well.

warthog76za said:
I have RCS as well as a few Dwarf Tiger shrimp and each seem to keep to their own. But I really find shrimp of all sorts not only amazing but a joy to watch as well.

Yeah they really are really interesting creatures

Back
Top Bottom