Invert query - Electric Blue Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShawnKC

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am soon going to be getting a couple of Electric Blue crayfish and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these? It will be mainly a species specific tank with possibly a few fish to provide bacteria. There are plenty of hiding spaces to keep possible male/male aggression abated.
In the past I have had community aquariums with regular crays and aside from grabbing the occasional slow swimming fish and nipping my live plants off at the base, and a few temporary escapes (lol) I've never had any problems, but I am not sure about the blues. I've read all the research I could find, but experience speaks volumes so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
TANK 2a.jpg

Not sure on the crayfish as I have never kept them - but they are neat... but you could just do a species tank with no fish if you wanted. No need to provide a robust biological filter if the tank inhabitants don't require it.

Good luck with the crays - I am sure someone will be along shortly who can give some first hand accounts.

They do well with my cichlids hides most of the time till the lights go out no problems for me yet

Blue cray

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120923_002502.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120923_002502.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for the feedback, your blue looks awesome. I am thinking a small school of zebra danios might be cool. From what I've read, as long as the crays are well fed and the fish are not slow bottom swimmers there should be no problems. I'd like to have something other than the crays since they mainly come out at night. I'd rather watch the aquarium than most of the crap on TV these days.

You could do cichlids like me if your tank is big enough. And me too besides watching football lol

My tank is a 30 gal. breeder. It's 18"H x 12"W x 36"L. I've seen some beautiful cichlids but read that they are prone to attacking the crays when they molt and their bodies are soft and vulnerable. Also, I know nothing about cichlids. Are there any small species?

There are dwarf species that could go in a 30 and I have aggressive Africans and they dnt bother my cray at all even wen close to him.

My experience with the Blues is that they are not as agressive as the North Ameriacn Crayfsh. They get along fine with Cichlids and fish that stay near the surface (Danios). Corys might be in trouble. Latter my Blue changed color and wasn't blue anymore.

Make sure your tank is air tight, I had one and all she did was hide in a log, then one day she was gone never seen her since I moved everything in my house looking for her, they don't smell when they die so even my cats couldn't find her

Get one of them lizard tops from petco or walmart(only 2 places I've seen them) then set your light on top pita I know but they are beyond good at getting out

Thanks for that info. I was aware of their Houdini-esque abilities at escape and since I had to hang my filter on the side of the tank due to the 3D background, I made a custom cut-away in the top to fit the filter with only a 1/8" gap around the filter itself. It is the only opening in the top except for the flip top lid for feeding access. Years ago as a teen I had a 29 gallon with a couple of crayfish I caught in a creek and never knew they could get loose until I heard my parent's landlady scream from the apartment downstairs...lol. Needless to say they were back in the creek that afternoon. I appreciate the heads up though.

Back
Top Bottom