Invert Safe Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MABJ

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think it'd be a good idea to start a do's and don'ts list for food for all inverts.

So at that introduction, let's get all questions and such out there. I can keep editing this post for a running list. Maybe it can be stickied for all future reference if need be.

First rule of thumb, avoid Copper Sulfate as an ingredient on the back of prepared foods where possible.

One way to help your shrimp gather foods: a Marimo moss balls. They "catch" food for shrimp, and benefit from being groomed by shrimp.

The last note here, please if you have inverts like shrimp, be responsible. Have a planted tank. This helps them so much. We literally can't see how much it helps, but RCS and many others will feed off the biofilm which forms on plants and detritus.

Invert safe prepared foods:

Invert safe live/frozen foods:

Foods/brands to specifically avoid:

Thanks for everybody's help :)

A little help

Invert safe prepared foods:

Stuff I tried,

Mosura excel, mosura CRS speciality, mosura tonic pro, mosura gravidas, borneowild grow, borneowild spinach, borneowild Bebi, borneowild barley, borneowild color, borneowild shield, borneowild vigor, borneowild vital, borneowild frenzy, hikari shrimp cuisine, new life spectrum,
Shrimp cuisine, hikari crab cuisine, Ada red bee, and fluval shrimp granules.

Best results for price borneowild.

Worst fluval shrimp granules

Invert safe live/frozen foods:

Safe frozen foods - freshwater clams, mussels, brine shrimp, bloodworms
Live foods would algae and biofilm but cannot rely on just this.

Foods/brands to specifically avoid:

Fluval
Hikari
New life spectrum
1) common reason - the pieces of food are too small and gives no viewing pleasure of watching Shrimp eat together in a big ball. Nor shrimp react as quick
To the food as mosura or borneowild

Hope this helps

Invert safe prepared foods: Pretty much everything on the shelf

Invert safe live/frozen foods: Pretty much everything on the shelf

Foods/brands to specifically avoid: None that I know of.

I still think this info is valuable. I can modify some of this to best result foods.

That would probably work a little better. I don't know of any name brand foods processed or frozen that are harmful to shrimp and inverts. Everyone has their opinions on what is best, though.

Sorry did i misinterpet what MAJB wanted to be listed?

shrimp are in nature scavengers, they eat everything.
The most important thing is what they consume and how frequent will affect
their growth rates and such.

I figured, "prepared foods" were meant to be commercial foods? Or did MAJB you meant, prepared from home?

Sorry did i misinterpet what MAJB wanted to be listed?

shrimp are in nature scavengers, they eat everything.
The most important thing is what they consume and how frequent will affect
their growth rates and such.

I figured, "prepared foods" were meant to be commercial foods? Or did MAJB you meant, prepared from home?

No, not at all, you gave a good list. I was just commenting that in the OP it was about which foods were invert safe and which weren't.

Back
Top Bottom