invert stocking for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjacks

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55g tank with black blasting sand substrate, 4 otos, 2 mystery snails, about 5 rcs and 3 maybe 4 types of moss (i know 1 is java moss and 1 is flame moss) with some clippings that mayb carolina im trying my hand at with java ferns on the way and some dw soaking now.. i plan to drill holes in for hideouts as its solid and attach moss or something to it

Ok so we (me an hubby) decided we are gonna do a all invert tank as we have another tank with a pair of p. Alleni blues and just luv them . I have always wanted a planted tank but my fish eat the plants even now i have oddball otos that are munching on my carolinas ?

So the real question is what are some good shrimp i can add with my rcs without hybrids being made and how many different ones can i keep.. we would like a nice variety ranging in colors or sizes .. but on the rather easy side since this is kind out of my comfort zone

I havent ha zmuch experience or luck with inverts but i did get some ghost shrimp once they r really cool to watch and only 30-50 cents depending on where u get em. My lfs has some snowball, taiwan fire, pumpkin, and amano shrimp- i was thinking o possibky getting amanos, they look nice. In an all invert tank would u b against adding a freshwter fiddler crab? Tgey are really cool but sort of destructive with plants.

Have heard not to mix ghost shrimp with rcs i think ..

Havent really thought about a crab dont they need somewhere to bask and get out of water? Mayb i should check into it..

I appreciate you atleast attempting to help even with out much experience .. thats thoughtful of you ;)

I'm not extremely experienced with inverts but for shrimp I would recommend not mixing any neocaridina species such as cherry shrimp and blue velvet because they will breed and usually the offspring are not very pretty...buuuuut you could try doin one type of neocaridina and crystal shrimp of some kind if you keep the water in the parameters they like...and for the fish they should be fine in that size tank I mean they might eat a bay shrimp here and there but I don't think they will make an effort to hunt them down and eat them....and you could also think about adding some snails in that tank...it sounds like an awesome tank I'm pretty jealous

Im have 2 blue mystery snails , got some pretty red ramshorns coming and ordering some yellow rabbit tylomelanie (prolly not spelled right)

I really like the tiger shrimp,amano shrimp alot ..

i have some rcs im getting some sakura and fire reds to mix in..

Got the hubby some new drill bits told him he could break them in drilling holes in my driftwood...

And a friend successfully has mixed shrimp and p.alleni crays so i may try some neon yellow shrimp with my blues idk yet though gonna research some more

I love rabbit snails...and you could try the tiger shrimp just make sure you have your water in their preferred parameters...and amano shrimp would work to they don't reproduce in freshwater though which isn't really a bad thing though...and I have also heard of people successfully keeping shrimp with crays so it might be worth a try...and the darker red will look nice I'm sure

I think the horned nerites are pretty cool along with most other nerite snails....there are also giant ram shorn and trapdoor and different types of rabbit snails...I don't really know of anymore super cool ones besides spixi and assassin snails which both eat snails except the spixi snail mostly eat pond snails and I think they can eat nerite snails I'm not sure though

Well i saw a few but im not fond of them... think ill stick to what i got and mayb add a trapdoor snail .. tried my hand at nerites but they all got eaten which i guess in this tank wouldnt happen...lol

I found more shrimp.. read that malawi shrimp and sunkist shrimp dont crossbreed with anything.. and then some emerald green shrimp.. so im gonna try and find those and some amano and be done with it .. :) my water is perfect for their requirements an they seem easy enough according to the articles i have read

Do you mean malawa if so then check out homeless aquatics he has them for $1 each

I have not bought anything from him yet but sine I only live like thirty minutes away from him I'm planning on going over there one day to get some snails and shrimp and some bororas brigittae and maybe a couple other fish

Yeah a lot of the fish store in Houston are all up in north Houston almost an hour away...and the one I usually go to I decided shouldn't go to unless I really need somthing...because last time I went I spent $24 on just six shrimp four cherrys and two amano I was super mad but oh well

Back
Top Bottom