Is my Zebra Nerite snail dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedSnail1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,
I think one of my zebra nerite snails may be dead, but i'm not entirely sure. It lives in a freshwater tank ( with some plants, a pump, aquarium gravel, a calcium block, a small black ramshorn snail and another zebra nerite with some other little pond snails that came in on the plants I have ). I bought the two zebra nerites over a week ago, and they both seemed active and healthy then.

On Monday I found my snail on its back, so I put it up the right way and it hasn't moved since. Its trapdoor was half open until I tried pushing it shut a little, and now it seems to smell odd and there is strange jelly like stuff around the trapdoor. It doesn't react if I try gently touching the trapdoor. I've read that the only way to tell for sure if a zebra snail is dead is that its trapdoor will drop off, it will float, and it will smell horrible.

Do you think my snail is dead?
- Its trapdoor is still intact
- It smells odd
- It hasn't moved for days
- It doesn't react to touch
- There is clear jelly around the trapdoor

For now, i've moved it in to container with some water from the tank in it, in case it is dead and pollutes the water.

Thank you for any help. (=

If it smells, that's a good indicator that it is dead. I always need to watch it because they cannot flip itself.

Okay, thank you. <3
I'm new to keeping snails and I didn't realise that they can't flip themselves over, so I think I might have left it too long to put my little guy the right way up. )=

Okay, thank you. <3
I'm new to keeping snails and I didn't realise that they can't flip themselves over, so I think I might have left it too long to put my little guy the right way up. )=

Also make sure you do not have any aggressive fish in the same tank. I love them too but my african cichlids love to flip my snails over and eating them.

Also make sure you do not have any aggressive fish in the same tank. I love them too but my african cichlids love to flip my snails over and eating them.

I don't have any fish in the tank. c:

Back
Top Bottom