Keeping shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
O I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I start a shrimp tank.
So I would like to get peoples opinion on things.

1. What is the best food for shrimp and how often do you feed?

2. I've read you need to supplement with calcium. Is this true and what kind would you recommend? And are there other supplements they would need?

I had other questions but I am completely spaced out today. Any other important things you can think of would help too. Thanks in advance for your help.

Coursair said:
Pick a species, then you can get advice.
Are you talking Red Cherry Shrimp ( RCS) ???
Or something else ???

Sorry I thought I. Put that in there. Yes RCS.

Paxdaddy said:

They are scavengers, so they will eat almost anything. A quality food is Fluval Shrimp Granules. It has spirulina algae in it, an important part of a shrimp's diet.
2. I've read you need to supplement with calcium. Is this true and what kind would you recommend? And are there other supplements they would need?
No, unless your water has unusually low levels of calcium.
I had other questions but I am completely spaced out today. Any other important things you can think of would help too. Thanks in advance for your help.
I answered below your questions.

Paxdaddy said:

Everyone has their own way. YMMV

1. There is no one perfect food. I feed fresh Organic greens and veggies ( blanched or raw ), Romaine, Spinach, Zucchini
Azoo
Mosura
Omega One
I feed a varied diet. I feed 1x daily because I have a lot of Shrimp.

2. I feed Shrimp food that has Calcium in it, plus I leave molts in the tank. Ken's Veggie Sticks w Calcium is a new one I'm using. Also Rapashy Gel foods.

3. They need live plants. They love Moss. They eat aufwuchs and biofilm. That is the best other food :)

You can see my shrimp tank on my profile page. Click on my icon. Or this shows some of my tank. Fish were added MUCH later.

Coursair said:
Everyone has their own way. YMMV

1. There is no one perfect food. I feed fresh Organic greens and veggies ( blanched or raw ), Romaine, Spinach, Zucchini
Azoo
Mosura
Omega One
I feed a varied diet. I feed 1x daily because I have a lot of Shrimp.

2. I feed Shrimp food that has Calcium in it, plus I leave molts in the tank. Ken's Veggie Sticks w Calcium is a new one I'm using. Also Rapashy Gel foods.

3. They need live plants. They love Moss. They eat aufwuchs and biofilm. That is the best other food :)

You can see my shrimp tank on my profile page. Click on my icon. Or this shows some of my tank. Fish were added MUCH later.

Thanks I really like all your tanks

Coursair said:
Thank you :)
You're welcome. I see you feed once a day that is what I would guess I read a huge article from a guy who raises and sells them and he feeds every 3 days. That didn't seem like enough to me.

Paxdaddy said:
You're welcome. I see you feed once a day that is what I would guess I read a huge article from a guy who raises and sells them and he feeds every 3 days. That didn't seem like enough to me.

If you have enough biofilm they are fine, mine compete with snails and Otos. Overfeeding is bad, poor water quality isn't good.

Coursair said:
Don't blow the Shrimp around ;)

Lol. Of course I don't wanna do that but do plants need a certain amount of water flow? I'm not experienced in planted tanks. I have only been keeping fish for about 6 months and the only live plants I have are windelov java fern, anubias(can't remember which kind) and just got some java moss. I have pretty low lighting but they seem to be doing alright. But I want to do a heavily planted 10 gallon with 3-4 watts per gallon and wondering if wafted flow woe be an issue. Like if I do just a sponge filter run by just an air pump, would that be sufficient or would I do better running it with a power head? Again Thanks for all your help. I don't know when I will be able to set this up as my wife thinks I'm obsessed with aquaria! ( she's probably right) but I just want to as informed as possible when I start.

My shrimp have always thrived on just whatever I give them. Pretty much just pellets or flakes that I feed to the fish. The biggest key to their survival is no predators.

As far as current goes, they'll learn to stay out of it if it's an issue for them, I have a magnum HOT canister on one of my shrimp tanks going full blast, lol.

Back
Top Bottom