Keys to Shrimp Success

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to see this thread! I'm new to shrimp, and am trying them (red cherry, dwarf blackberry) for algae control (with some olive nerites) in a heavily planted tank 9 gallon with a variety of fish (rams, curviceps, pygmy ras, dwarf cories). So all an experiment in progress for me. Appreciate the information posted above, and look forward to more to come. Thanks for starting and posting!

But make sure that you don't overpopulate that 9 gallon tank

A common one I hear about is one gallon for every inch of full growth that your fish reach up to, you also have to consider the recommended tank size for certain fish, and how often you clean your tank.

I'm familiar with that ratio for fish and space needs. It's been interesting running that small a tank with the pygmy rasboras and dwarf cories since they're size appropriate. Fun after focusing on larger fish and tanks. Going on three months now and everyone seems pretty happy so far (I think planting level accounts for much of that). But do you know if the formula applies in the case of shrimp and other inverts? I don't have any sense for their respiratory needs and don't know if they are similar or not. And sure don't want to make assumptions in that regard.

I started with 4 (1m3f) in a 6 gal n now have 30+ babies! Some will be going in my bigger tank though (not to standard ones) to help clean and also to feed the female bettas (saves culling for no reason)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My shrimp tank is ideal for RCS and breeding but for some reason they just don't breed. Water parameters good, temp good, good mix of male and female, everything constant.

I don't understand why they don't reproduce. It's not like they are married or anything.

Back
Top Bottom