Kill the snails .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Rams horn snails are not my favorite inhabitants.
I want them gone. I heard that assassin snails may be what I need but they can over populate as well.
Suggestions ?!

I have tried making traps with algea wafers and a bottle also with blanched kale.

Rams horn snails are not my favorite inhabitants.
I want them gone. I heard that assassin snails may be what I need but they can over populate as well.
Suggestions ?!

I have tried making traps with algea wafers and a bottle also with blanched kale.

1 assassin? Then it wont breed, but will just eat slower.
Do like I do with the pond snails and just pick them out when I see them and mush'em.

Ya... I know I smash them on the glass when I can.
I have a hex tank so just picking them out isn't so easy.
Assassin snail up ??

From what I've heard assassins breed more slowly than other snails, and it's directly related to available food supply. I have two and they are awesome! Watching them murder pond snails is really bizarre and cool.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419003074.280774.jpg

They sound really cool.
The only thing holding me back is that I would prefer them, not to endanger the shrimp or nerite snails.
I have ghost (my favorite), amono, and a bamboo shrimp.
I would like to have an assassin just to keep the tiny ramshorn #'s down .

I don't know how they fair with nerites since I've never kept any, so maybe someone else can help with that. I don't believe they bother shrimp. From what I understand, assassins prefer to eat the littler snails first but they may go after the nerite after some time, I'm not positive.

The LFS I get alot of stuff from had them in a tank with nerite snails with no issues. I guess they only munch the smaller ones. I may get one but I have a small horned nerite I'm afraid might be tasty too them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 40gal hex, heavily planted with wisteria.

Also I was mistaken, they are pond snails I believe.
I am going to get one assassin snail and see how it goes.

I also was thinking of venting a beta cup and placing my nerits in there with an algea wafer to keep them from harms way .. ?

Lol , jeta Idk that sounds like some well mannered snails :p.
I just now put one small assassin in the tank. I hope it all goes well .

They burrow in the substrate and wait for hapless victims to come by, then they snag them and it's like they cover the underside (opening) of the pond snail shell and suck them out alive. I haven't see them hiding but I've walked in to see them flipping around upside down with another snail in their clutches it's crazy.

Ohh, sneaky! Geez, that would wreck your day if you are a pond snail. I've had the ramshorn snails hang onto a piece of gravel to stop that but the loaches got them in the end (took a few weeks though).

They burrow in the substrate and wait for hapless victims to come by, then they snag them and it's like they cover the underside (opening) of the pond snail shell and suck them out alive. I haven't see them hiding but I've walked in to see them flipping around upside down with another snail in their clutches it's crazy.

K now I want one

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are awesome. They hide a lot but when they're out they're fun to watch

Back
Top Bottom