Kyle's Light Bulb shrimp tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freakgecko91

Aquarium Advice Addict
O I finally got around to doing a shrimp tank. I made it out of a light bulb, let me know what you all think :D it currently has 6 cherry reds and was completed tonight so it's a bit cloudy still

image-2003362530.jpg

image-3693391376.jpg

I've never seen that done before pretty cool. How do you plan on doing maintenance? & is there filtration/sponge filter?

No filtration, I wanted it to be a super low tech build. I want it to grow into a mini jungle, so I don't plan on trimming the plants really, which are dwarf sag, christmas moss, and giant duckweed. The bioload is extremely small, being only 6 shrimp, so I don't see a filter being necessary

That's pretty cool! How did you manage to get all that stuff in there, and how do you plan to feed? Can't see any holes :p

--Adeeb

Basically, you pull the "guts" out through the silver part you normally screw into the socket, so anything that's in there went in through that same way lol I used a screwdriver to push the plants into the sand after pushing them through the opening. Feeding is a bit tricky, as the tiny pellets tend to get stuck behind the rim of the screw part, so I use a syringe thing to put it in there

I really wish there was a cichlid species small enough for it :/ Thinking about adding three ruby tetras to it, but not sure if i want to or not yet. It's a pretty large bulb, it's resting on a Coke bottle cap in the first pic, for size reference. As for lighting, I'm thinking just a CFL fixture over it, or even just a normal desk lamp over the top of it

Sounds cool, did you see this somewhere or think of it on your own? This would be a cool little desktop build for an office or something. Hmmm... I think I want one!

I was bored and googled "cool terrariums" and saw a instructional about making a light bulb into a terrarium with a tillandsia (air plant; epiphytic plants; use their leaves to obtain nutrients) and thought to myself: I should do this with a fish tank! And thus, my adventure began!

I'm rather proud of it :) it only cost me about $10 (without the shrimp, $25 with the shrimp) and took about an hour (give or take). I jut hope it works well in the long run, if it does, I plan on doing several "species bulbs" with a different shrimp species/color in each!

So far I've had one casualty, but my room hit 86 degrees at least, we had our air off and my door and window were both closed

other than that, I'm not noticing any real issues :)

I used a long pick thing I found in my step dads tool box lol but my friend is supposed to get me a pair of long skinny forceps from her mom for my next one

Back
Top Bottom