Leave No Stone Unturned!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jazzy cap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been struggling with the fact that no matter what I did my dwarf shrimp population was dwindling! I tried everything over the past 12 months, then yesterday, i think i finally discovered what was killing my shrimp! LOTION!!! About 12 months ago I started using a body lotion that contained copper, unbeknownst to me. i always was my hands with organic soap before putting them into the shrimp tanks, but only rinsed my arms with plain water. I was shocked when I noticed the ingredients on the lotion, but i.e. was an epiphany for me. Could I have been poisoning my shrimp all of this time? I hope that I have finally found the source of the problem, because I am determined that I will successfully raise dwarf shrimp! I refuse to give up!!!

Yes. I never use soaps or lotions close to when I'm working on tanks. I always rinse really well if I suspect I have any residues.

Lotions, soaps, scented candles, scented sprays can all kill Shrimp.

I have been struggling with the fact that no matter what I did my dwarf shrimp population was dwindling! I tried everything over the past 12 months, then yesterday, i think i finally discovered what was killing my shrimp! LOTION!!! About 12 months ago I started using a body lotion that contained copper, unbeknownst to me. i always was my hands with organic soap before putting them into the shrimp tanks, but only rinsed my arms with plain water. I was shocked when I noticed the ingredients on the lotion, but i.e. was an epiphany for me. Could I have been poisoning my shrimp all of this time? I hope that I have finally found the source of the problem, because I am determined that I will successfully raise dwarf shrimp! I refuse to give up!!!
Thanks for sharing. Good to know.[emoji106]

Oh shrimp tales... I too had a massive die off when tweaking a tank. But I never use any lotion and totally paranoid and over rinse when I wash my hands.

I have been slowly removing items from the tank trying to figure out what is leaching something into the water they don't like. Rocks, ceramics, and on pennplax Ursula.

It's had weekly water changes and vacuum since all of the removals. Adding a new shrimp test pilot this weekend to see if her makes it.

Such sensitive guys. But I love them.

Back
Top Bottom