Lexie's Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I recently decided to use my empty 5 gallon mini bow front for shrimp.

It currently has:

2 mystery snails
1 assassin snail
Pond snails :/
2 female rcs
1 make rcs

It has the floromax dirt

2 Marmimo moss balls
1 large ball of Java moss
1 small crypt
Water Sprite

Any suggestions are welcomed :)
I will also be looking to purchase some more red cherry shrimp in the future.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448345524.891559.jpg

Not the best photo of it, I need to scrub the algae off the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks good! I suggest a couple males and females to start with. You'll have a decent sized colony in no time! One thing to note is that you probably want a pre filter intake sponge. This will prevent baby shrimp from being sucked into the filter. You can find these at any fish store. Also, assassin snails may prey upon shrimplets, just depends on if they can find them. Other than that, you're good to go! (y)

I did a bunch of research before buying an Assassin and was told they will only go after sick/dying shrimp or fish.

Any updates on this tank? Will you be or have you already ordered more shrimp?

Haven't ordered any more shrimp yet, I haven't made a post on the classifieds page yet. So far the 3 I have are doing great. I need to get a filter cover, all the foam blocks were too big for my tank, so I think I'm going to use cheap pantyhose. I meant to ask my mom if she had any at thanksgiving, but I forgot lol. So I guess I'll be buying some at Walmart. :)

It's a 5 gallon mini bow front, it came with a small internal filter.

What type of filter? I use these on my HOB filters.

You might want to stuff floss in the internal filter near the intake. Seems to discourage small shrimp from exploring the innards of the filter.

Edit: While you are at Walmart, stop by the Pet section and pickup cuttle bone (for birds). Cheap source of calcium for shrimp and snails.

I put a small amount of cuttlebone in the tank. I also found a small filter sponge for my intake at the local pet store. :) I plan on waiting a week or two before getting more shrimp.

They are doing well. Still have just three. I added some water lettuce the other day. The pond snails are pretty much gone, so the assassin snail will be moved back to the 15g soon. I probably won't be buying any more red cherry shrimp until January. I need to start doing some Christmas shopping ( we haven't done any yet ? lol) . I haven't figured out a way to get the really old algae off of the front. I think I'm going to have to buy an acrylic scrubber pad.

For the really stubborn algae that the algae magnet does not remove, I sometime just grab the inner magnet scrubber and manually scrub the glass (in the tank).
First things first ??????
I've had good luck with RCS purchased from AA members.

Yeah and it's a bow front, so I can't use regular magnet scrubbers. :/

I have bow front and bought a tall narrow magnetic scrubber. If kept vertically at all times it follows the contours of the glass and works well. Turn it horizontal and the magnet tends to fall off.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom