Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunter73

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so MTS has set in. I currently have four tanks. I just purchased a 12 gallon long Mr. Aqua tank, plus heater, and filter for it. This will be a shrimp tank. It will have mosses and possibly some crypts or ferns. Can I get away with ambient lighting? If not...ugh...what 36" light would do the job?

Stingray would be the cheapest low/med light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Stingray would be the cheapest low/med light.

Surely that light would rock on such a short tank height, right? Tanks dims are: Dimension: 35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4"

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For a Finnex Stingray, the PAR at 6" is 54-56 and at 12" is 30-32*. I would guess that it would be about 42-44 in your tank.
That would put it at the lower end of medium. I had a Finnex FugeRay over my 20L planted tank and the par value was ~45. I was able to grow quite a few stem plants in that tank.
* = http://www.theaquaticplantsociety.org/finnex_stingray_led/

Man, I wish I could get by with ambient lighting.

Man, I wish I could get by with ambient lighting.

Are you looking at keeping the top open and free of equipment? You might consider a clip on or pendant/suspended light. It does not have to be uber powerful since it is shrimp and (I'm guessing) mosses.

Are you looking at keeping the top open and free of equipment? You might consider a clip on or pendant/suspended light. It does not have to be uber powerful since it is shrimp and (I'm guessing) mosses.

Yes, top will be open. It'll have some mosses, and possibly some crypts.

What type of ambient lighting would the tank get and for how long each day? My jungle tank is heavily planted, gets some indirect southwest sun each day plus I have one of these hanging above it. Going to post some updates pics in my tank thread later today.

What type of ambient lighting would the tank get and for how long each day? My jungle tank is heavily planted, gets some indirect southwest sun each day plus I have one of these hanging above it. Going to post some updates pics in my tank thread later today.

It would get ambient lighting from a southern facing window. Probably not enough light in reality.

My issue with ambient lighting is that the tank is not illuminated enough to enjoy the tank contents. Even on a sunny day, when I turn off my lights I can hardly see far into the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My issue with ambient lighting is that the tank is not illuminated enough to enjoy the tank contents. Even on a sunny day, when I turn off my lights I can hardly see far into the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

True. Plus at night, I'd see nothing.

This is an older pic just after I did a trim. Black sand substrate, plants are: jungle vals, dwarf sag, ludwigia, baby tears, water sprite, and flame moss.

img_3325774_0_7e51814355d916f6a60c7cd9ef4eeb47.jpg

I'm going to build a stand for this tank. I guess I will need to incorporate a suspended light for it as well.

I'm going to build a stand for this tank. I guess I will need to incorporate a suspended light for it as well.

A DIY stand will allow you to customize it to your needs.
Some folks have used bent metal conduit to hang their light fixtures. The straight conduit pieces run parallel to the back legs of the stand.

A DIY stand will allow you to customize it to your needs.
Some folks have used bent metal conduit to hang their light fixtures. The straight conduit pieces run parallel to the back legs of the stand.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to build a stand for the Mr. Aqua 12L, and the ADA 45F. Two separate stands. Not sure what all to use, however I do want to find heavy duty, easy to use/adjust, leveling feet of some sort. Also, covered storage to hide all the supplies/etc. And, something for height adjustable suspended lighting.

Cool. Make it so that an LED light comes on when the cabinet doors open (so you can see everything inside). Lots of things you can do with a custom cabinet.

Cool. Make it so that an LED light comes on when the cabinet doors open (so you can see everything inside). Lots of things you can do with a custom cabinet.

Oh, I will. I added an led with a rocker switch in my 46G cabinet and it really helps. I want to make these two cabinets with the pressure switches on the doors so the led lights just come on automatically.

Oh, I will. I added an led with a rocker switch in my 46G cabinet and it really helps. I want to make these two cabinets with the pressure switches on the doors so the led lights just come on automatically.

Like that idea!

Back
Top Bottom