Little clam thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freyar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I found this clam in my tank. It's really tiny and it closes when a snail climbed over it. It's white with stripes and blends in with the shell it's on. It probably doesn't help that my camera broke so I only have cell pictures until I convince my mom to borrow hers. Anyways, should I remove it? It doesn't seem to do harm and its kinda cute :) also what is it? I use clam as a general term for a mussely sort of thing with two shell halves that open and close.

Attachments

• image-3269377484.jpg
    image-3269377484.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 128
your pic has me worried, and leaves me wondering if any of your tanks decor was collected from the wild, I could be wrong on this but to me it looks like a zebra mussel which is a highly problematic invasive species, just look them up in google images and you'll get an idea of what your dealing with but whatever you do, do not flush it

Ok, the pictures of the crayfish covered in mussels are kind of scaring me, but how can I tell that I have a zebra mussel and it's not a different type? I remember when I bought my plants they were in a tank with these clam type things that were brownish, but it doesn't look like those ones at all.

other than tearing the tank down letting it sit dry for a couple weeks and starting from scratch I'm not sure how to possitively be rid of them, the only other thing I can think of is to find a medication that's not safe for inverts and dose with that, of course if you have other inverts you want to keep that becomes a problem

I wouldn't mind getting rid of a couple (hundred) snails. What do you recommend?

just about any med with some form of copper should do it but there are other products designed specifically for snail eradication that may also take care of the mussel, I haven't used anything like that in quite a while so I don't know any product names off the top of my head

I removed the little thing. I think I will wait and see, if another one pops up I will try No Planaria but it might be the only one.

freyar said:
I removed the little thing. I think I will wait and see, if another one pops up I will try No Planaria but it might be the only one.

I hope that is the case

There is a snail that looks clam like also. Not a pest. Will see if I can find name. It doesn't look like a Mussel to me, but I could be wrong.

There are Freshwater Limpets and a type of Nerite snail that resembles a Limpet also. Neither are pests in a tank.

Ok, well I gave it to my sister and she's keeping it in a really tiny Betta tank with a rock and a snail, and she loves it... (that probably has nothing to do wih the fact she thinks is a "pearl chocolate striped clam" I bought for $40...)

Also if it helps it moves around kinda well with a foot that comes out of the bottom of the shell, almost where it hinges.

Ok, well I gave it to my sister and she's keeping it in a really tiny Betta tank with a rock and a snail, and she loves it... (that probably has nothing to do wih the fact she thinks is a "pearl chocolate striped clam" I bought for $40...)

Also if it helps it moves around kinda well with a foot that comes out of the bottom of the shell, almost where it hinges.

That thing looks pretty cool to me. I kinda want some lol I wanted to get limpets forever and then they just appeared in my tank lok

Back
Top Bottom