Little white worms in shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last week I noticed a really small white work inching on glass inside our 2G Nano Long shrimp tank. After looking more closely I've now seen a few weaving through the substrate. They don't seem to interfere with the shrimp, yet.

While the worm population does not appear to be growing at all, I'm concerned because we have 2 berried rilli shrimp and I don't want the shrimp babies affected by these worms - whaever they are.

My LFS suggested Pigmy Cory cats as they will eat the worms and probably not harm the shrimp. So my questions are:

1) Should I not worry about the worms or should I put a pair of C. Pygmatus in there until the shrimp eggs are closer to hatching?

2) If I do put the Pygmys in there, are they safe with shrimp babies?

I appreciate any experienced advice

Last week I noticed a really small white work inching on glass inside our 2G Nano Long shrimp tank. After looking more closely I've now seen a few weaving through the substrate. They don't seem to interfere with the shrimp, yet.

While the worm population does not appear to be growing at all, I'm concerned because we have 2 berried rilli shrimp and I don't want the shrimp babies affected by these worms - whaever they are.

My LFS suggested Pigmy Cory cats as they will eat the worms and probably not harm the shrimp. So my questions are:

1) Should I not worry about the worms or should I put a pair of C. Pygmatus in there until the shrimp eggs are closer to hatching?

2) If I do put the Pygmys in there, are they safe with shrimp babies?

I appreciate any experienced advice

The worms shouldnt hurt a thing. Pygmies would not be happy in that tank especially with only 2 of them. However they would not eat the shrimplets I do not think.

More than likely they are nematodes. Harmless little creatures. They are usually a sign of over feeding. Do you out the shrimp food in a feeding dish? I have nematodes in my shrimp tank. No big deal unless it bothers you to look at them. I wouldn't trust Pygmy cories in the tank. They do like to be in big groups and I'm pretty sure they'll pick off some baby shrimp.

Even if the worms turn out to be planaria, chances are they won't hurt shrimp. Native planaria are quite small, and the mouth is underneath, in the middle. There are giant Asian planaria that can predate on shrimp, but you'd know if have those. They're more than an inch long and quarter inch wide. Not that common, but they sometimes come in on plants from Asia.

Much more likely they are nematodes or detritus worms, harmless. Fish will eat them as a rule, but as was said, often they eat baby shrimp too.

Back
Top Bottom