Lone apple snail eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler D

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had a lone apple snail for 1.5 years? And it has just recently laid a large clutch of eggs about half to three quartets its own size... Are they fertile and going to hatch or are they just sterile eggs laid by a line snail?...

Most egg laying animals will still lay eggs if they are unfertilized. You should see little dots (the yolk- the developing baby) inside the eggs if they are fertile. I'm not sure how long an apple snail can carry sperm, but I doubt it's 1.5 years.

This is the first time it has ever happened and I can see little black dots inside each egg and it is currently laying another batch O.O

apple snails can carry sperm for a very long time I had mine lay eggs after almost a year of having her and she was also alone in my tank they still hatched so I would leave them and see if they hatch or not

Well she laid 5 more clutches and believe it or not they are hatching. It's impossible to tell how many but I see quite a few

That is pretty amazing. I hope you can raise a number of them, be interesting to see what colours you get, seeing as we haven't a clue what colour snails she might have mated with.

Yeah! Most are looking a solid and defined purple. Pretty lucky everywhere I read says it is fairly rare.

I have one even with an ivory foot and translucent purple shell. Very unique.

Wow that is really cool! Don't have one of those snails, but they look cute. (Not so narrow) Is that your only kind of snail you have? Or is it your only apple snail?

Ill attempt some pics later. And yeah only apple snails. I only run a 10g

My ramhorns breed like crazy. But I don't mind because they have unique patterns.

I'm still learning about this stuff and I'm leaving for school in like 9 months so I don't want to start another tank.

Very cool they are purple. It's not as rare as it used to be, but it's usually very desirable, so it's easy to sell purple snails as a rule. The ivory and gold ones are the most common colours. It's the body that determines the snail colour. Shells can be any colour but ivory shells on purple bodied snails look pretty neat.
Really blue coloured snails are the ones I have the hardest time finding around here, but I see them now and then. It can be hard to tell sometimes, whether the snail is really blue or just dark purple.

Hmmm. Still really cool. Sorta looks almost red if the light is on it. For a whole variety of colors brown-gold-blue-purple. Looks like my snail really slept around before I got it.

Females can hold onto sperm for quite a long time, and I know I have seen my snails mating multiple times with multiple partners, so you're right, she probably did sleep around a lot :). I wish we knew more about how their colour genetics work, be neat to more colours, maybe red or pink ones ?

Back
Top Bottom