Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Malaysian Trumpet Snails??? Help Please.

What would be the negatives be for Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

I have an 18 gal bow front with some plants and Supernaturals (FW) white/natural fine sand. Would they be good for turning over the sand, would they eat the plants?

-Don't know anything about them, heard they are good for turning over the substrate.

Please give me some input, as I was considering changing the sand out to avoid gas pockets or adding a larger grain to mix with it, I am having to stir things up to keep it in check as it has caused some bad water conditions for the fish in the past.

Any better suggestions?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky
What would be the negatives be for Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

I have an 18 gal bow front with some plants and Supernaturals (FW) white/natural fine sand. Would they be good for turning over the sand, would they eat the plants?

-Don't know anything about them, heard they are good for turning over the substrate.

Please give me some input, as I was considering changing the sand out to avoid gas pockets or adding a larger grain to mix with it, I am having to stir things up to keep it in check as it has caused some bad water conditions for the fish in the past.

Any better suggestions?
Hey! MTS are actually a great thing. They're very good for turning over sand, but gas pockets aren't a huuuge reality.

They do reproduce heavily, but they're cute in my opinion, not a nuisance at all.

No they won't eat your plants. I mean if there are too many, they will poop too much, but it's easy to sell them.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good guys...

So these are the good guys, would you recommend them for this? In the past, I have had some sort of bad spots in the sand. Kinda get a blue green hue. I have been keeping up with moving around the sand lately, but as you are working on a self sustaining type system, you must agree, the less work the better!

A little nervous, as almost always hear "snails are bad, can't get rid of them" LOL
Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have MTS in all my tanks, on purpose. Attractive Snails. Don't eat plants. If you get too many, feed less and clean more.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Or if u get too many sell them on here or go e them to an lfs. I just bought some here. They are awesome
Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I am pretty much sold...I think the snails look cool, I like their shells! lol I will get some then.

For an 18 gal tank with fine sand like reef sand, how many should I get? As they will reproduce evidently, and I love to feed my fish...???
Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky
I am pretty much sold...I think the snails look cool, I like their shells! lol I will get some then.

For an 18 gal tank with fine sand like reef sand, how many should I get? As they will reproduce evidently, and I love to feed my fish...???
I think 10 or 15 should be fine
Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You guys here at AA Rock!!! I am so glad I found this place, my present and future fish, and shrimp, and snails, will thank you! <3 <3 <3
Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No problem. Glad to be able to help. Can someone help back me up on that number though. Does that amount seem OK?
Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If I can't find them locally, then I will want to make sure I have a decent amount if I have to pay for shipping. So anybody verify the amount, I have a friend I can give some to if I have too many...

ALSO, my new tank I am putting up is a 35 gal and I will have either Eco-Complete and or Petco sand or Garnet sand, I am hoping for the Garnet sand, but I need to find out tomorrow what stock/color/size came in this week, the supply was limited as mining is just getting going for the season.

Sooooooo, anybody tell me what size might be best, or combination of sizes, for plants, the snails, shrimp, Cories, Kuhlis.

The local store had 80 but it was way too fine for my liking.

The supplier can get 50 grit size, 36, 16 or 8/12 grit size. Part of it depends what color each size ends up when it comes in, whether I will get it.

Tags
malaysia, malaysian, malaysian trumpet snails, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com