Malaysian Trumpet Snails??? Help Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
What would be the negatives be for Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

I have an 18 gal bow front with some plants and Supernaturals (FW) white/natural fine sand. Would they be good for turning over the sand, would they eat the plants?

-Don't know anything about them, heard they are good for turning over the substrate.

Please give me some input, as I was considering changing the sand out to avoid gas pockets or adding a larger grain to mix with it, I am having to stir things up to keep it in check as it has caused some bad water conditions for the fish in the past.

Any better suggestions?

Autumnsky said:
What would be the negatives be for Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

I have an 18 gal bow front with some plants and Supernaturals (FW) white/natural fine sand. Would they be good for turning over the sand, would they eat the plants?

-Don't know anything about them, heard they are good for turning over the substrate.

Please give me some input, as I was considering changing the sand out to avoid gas pockets or adding a larger grain to mix with it, I am having to stir things up to keep it in check as it has caused some bad water conditions for the fish in the past.

Any better suggestions?

Hey! MTS are actually a great thing. They're very good for turning over sand, but gas pockets aren't a huuuge reality.

They do reproduce heavily, but they're cute in my opinion, not a nuisance at all.

No they won't eat your plants. I mean if there are too many, they will poop too much, but it's easy to sell them.

Good guys...

So these are the good guys, would you recommend them for this? In the past, I have had some sort of bad spots in the sand. Kinda get a blue green hue. I have been keeping up with moving around the sand lately, but as you are working on a self sustaining type system, you must agree, the less work the better!

A little nervous, as almost always hear "snails are bad, can't get rid of them" LOL

Or if u get too many sell them on here or go e them to an lfs. I just bought some here. They are awesome

I am pretty much sold...I think the snails look cool, I like their shells! lol I will get some then.

For an 18 gal tank with fine sand like reef sand, how many should I get? As they will reproduce evidently, and I love to feed my fish...???

Autumnsky said:
I am pretty much sold...I think the snails look cool, I like their shells! lol I will get some then.

For an 18 gal tank with fine sand like reef sand, how many should I get? As they will reproduce evidently, and I love to feed my fish...???

I think 10 or 15 should be fine

You guys here at AA Rock!!! I am so glad I found this place, my present and future fish, and shrimp, and snails, will thank you! <3 <3 <3

No problem. Glad to be able to help. Can someone help back me up on that number though. Does that amount seem OK?

If I can't find them locally, then I will want to make sure I have a decent amount if I have to pay for shipping. So anybody verify the amount, I have a friend I can give some to if I have too many...

ALSO, my new tank I am putting up is a 35 gal and I will have either Eco-Complete and or Petco sand or Garnet sand, I am hoping for the Garnet sand, but I need to find out tomorrow what stock/color/size came in this week, the supply was limited as mining is just getting going for the season.

Sooooooo, anybody tell me what size might be best, or combination of sizes, for plants, the snails, shrimp, Cories, Kuhlis.

The local store had 80 but it was way too fine for my liking.

The supplier can get 50 grit size, 36, 16 or 8/12 grit size. Part of it depends what color each size ends up when it comes in, whether I will get it.

Yeah 10 or 15 would do well. There's someone in the classified section selling them for 1.00 for 10

You don't need many MTS to start a colony. I put 3 in my 45g 6 months ago. Now they are everywhere.

I am now using them as an indicator of overfeeding the fish. I am now cutting back the food until their numbers are under control.

Thanks for the heads up, it seems someone said they are self regulating in regards to how much over feeding/over populating. Good idea to watch that.

I am an over feeder, and trying to work my way away from that. Trying as often, but half as much. Seems to be better now and the fish are still getting that attention.

When I found my first MTS, I purposely overfed, as I wanted them to multiply. (With hindsight, not sure that was the best idea)

Now I have a ton. As I said, now I am cutting back feeding, and hoping the population dwindles. I will give that a few weeks, and if that doesn't work, I will put a plate with food down, wait 30 minutes, while the MTS gather around, and pick those guys out.

Still love them, but only in small amounts!

The person selling the mts on here is TheFishBoss97. He is charging 1.00 for 11. If you don't mind them being pretty small then he would be a good place to get some

Ok thanks, I will be going on an hour drive in a few days to my "local" fs so if he has some I will get them there to avoid a shipping fee and buy locally.

Back
Top Bottom