Marble cray fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a marbled crayfish in a 29 by its self I picked it up so I can use the babies to feed my fahaka puffer. I was wondering if anyone on here has had experience with the marbles. I've seen her have the babies under her tail but then a couple days later they were gone and nothing else under there. The only information I've found is that they have new babies every 22 days or so. I've had mine over a month and nothing. It's fed well but nothing. I know that they are an invasive species and I am doing everything in my control to not let it become out of control I'm just trying to breed food so I don't have to keep buying it.

Well for one make sure the tank is covered well because mine escaped! lol Are you sure it is a marbled cray? Mine had babies in a 5 gallon and didnt hurt them burt I could see them alot because they couldnt hide. In a 29 I would still expect to see them becuse mine had 60. Make sure they arent hiding and also they like the water a bit cooler.

I keep trying to attach a photo but it keeps saying exceeds quota it looks just like a marble crayfish.

You need to manage your attachments. You've attached over what the website allows per average member.

Well you need to be sure it is a marmokreb. We can only figure stuff out after that.

You also need to document better when pat becomes pregnant, the babies get bigger and when she drops.

A LOT of things can kill the babies. That includes (I'm not 100% here) the mother.

Is the tank cycled and what are the GH and KH ratings in the tank?

ok I figured it out, I have been using AA on my phone, I just logged onto my computer and deleted some of my old pics. Here is the pic, she had eggs under her tail and then they disappeared, water temp is 74, parameters are in spec, ph reads neutral, alkalinity is 120, chlorine is 0, hardness is 75, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 20.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 73
Try keeping the nitrates safely below 20.

All I can say is inexperienced mothers sometimes drop eggs.

At 20 nitrates, they probably easily could spike.

A number of things could kill a fresh batch.

How many plants do you have?

0 plants I drop in algae wafers and mini shrimps for her to eat. I do weekly water changes in that tank to ensure all levels are within range. The tank is an established tank too.

fadetoblack06 said:
0 plants I drop in algae wafers and mini shrimps for her to eat. I do weekly water changes in that tank to ensure all levels are within range. The tank is an established tank too.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Babes EASILY starve. Especially if you don't have any plants. Plants leave detritus and biofilm that is great for all inverts.

I'd advise you to put a lot of plants in. They'll also keep your nitrates in check.

I'll stop and get some Thursday to put in there. Hopefully that will solve my problem. Any one better than another?

fadetoblack06 said:
I'll stop and get some Thursday to put in there. Hopefully that will solve my problem. Any one better than another?

Well. It is to your taste. What kind of light do you have?

Plants should make the tank look better and more natural to you. I'd get quick growers. They're fun. I'm pretty well versed in low light plants thanks to the guys and gals here.

fadetoblack06 said:
The light says F18T8 natural daylight. I what ever is best for the cray.

Well T8 isn't very strong I think. Do you know how many watts it is? And what Kelvin it puts out?

EDIT* I figured it out. 4000k and 17 watts isn't strong at all.

Id try some java moss if you're not willing to upgrade your tanks light.

You can do a lot with java moss.

GodFan said:
Be prepared for the crays to destroy the plants.

I overall didn't consider that. But it's true. Most nice green plants probably would be eaten by a Marmokreb.

I'd be highly shocked if they ate java moss

Back
Top Bottom