Marbled Crayfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you buy a pure spiriluna food?

Is it frozen or what?

Ive seen hikari spiruluna ENRICHED brine shrimp

I supplement with spirulina flakes. They sink after a couple minutes and the crays gobble them up. I've even seen some juvies grab them from the surface when they are hanging on to the top of the sponge filter.

I supplement with spirulina flakes. They sink after a couple minutes and the crays gobble them up. I've even seen some juvies grab them from the surface when they are hanging on to the top of the sponge filter.

What boost does spirulina flakes give to crays? I have never had those kind of flakes and was wondering what they do to a cray?

FishCr8zy said:
What boost does spirulina flakes give to crays? I have never had those kind of flakes and was wondering what they do to a cray?

They can help them turn kind of blue. Not necessary but it helps with giving them a cool coloring. I don't feed it enough to turn them blue, I just use it to give them a little variety. Might see if I can get them blue one day, though.

They can help them turn kind of blue. Not necessary but it helps with giving them a cool coloring. I don't feed it enough to turn them blue, I just use it to give them a little variety. Might see if I can get them blue one day, though.

Cool. I feed the marbled crays turtle sticks and they are blue and red.
So I don't need the flakes.

Marble Crays are funny little beasts. I have over ten of them. I can tell you if you breed them in a ten gallon the adults will end up well fed. If you have enough air, get a good size rubber made storage box and some plactic coffee containers. Drill holes in the bottom and sides of the containers and place them in the rubber made with water and air. When they berry up, place the female in a coffee container. Once the crays are born it will be a few days until they are on their own. The should crawl righ out of the coffee container. You can raise them there or another tank. Once you get that far check back. Also, cut a ton of small PVC pipe into sections about 3" and place a lot of them in adult and baby tank as hides-You'll thank me later.

As for food, I blanch, put an 1/8 ts of water in a bowl with froozen peas and nuke them for 15-20 sc. Remove and cool and transfer to zip lock, place in fridg. Feed crays peas cut in half with a small knife. You can do carrots and see what color you get!

Last edited by a moderator:
And also not sure if someone answered this but do they eat their own fry?

You have never said what size your tank is. I breed mine in just about anything that holds water. I have several set up in a natural environment 20L with gravel, fake plants, PVC tubs 3" and glass ash trays proped so young can hide. Others are in 10s with Endlers, Least Killies and Pear Gouramis. I even have some in stock vats outdoors for the summer.

I can tell you that it is best to move mom befor ethe eggs hatch or remove the fry once they take off. I use the plastic netting found on froozen turkys, onions, etc.. and lace it through a small piece of PVC. The I cut each end three times to kind of make branches. This gives the fry the chance to have a place to hang out without crowding each other. You should really invest in a 10' length of PVC as small as you can find and cut it into 3" pieces. You can stack them, but flat rocks under one row and start another on top. Lots of plastic plants also allow them to stay apart. I feed blanched froozen peas cut into half or smaller. Trust me they will find it. For clean up sake, just pile it in the middle and they will come and go as they please. Sort by size and seperate after two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom