Marbled Crayfish (self cloning crays)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Basically I want to have a small tank with a lot of these guys as feeders. Can anyone provide any helpful info or links about how fast they clone? Also im not sure if I should use a 10 gallon or 20 long. Thanks

Hondatek said:
Basically I want to have a small tank with a lot of these guys as feeders. Can anyone provide any helpful info or links about how fast they clone? Also im not sure if I should use a 10 gallon or 20 long. Thanks

More space= better
They may kill each other

Marbles don't fight and they don't eat their young either as long as they have their own places to hang out they'll be fine.

fadetoblack06 said:
Marbles don't fight and they don't eat their young either as long as they have their own places to hang out they'll be fine.

What is the smallest tank I can keep about 20 of them in? Do you know how fast they clone? Thanks

There's no way I'd get that many. They start out having about 60 babies each and then every about 22 or so days they have more. It takes the little ones 3 months to become able to clone. If you put 20 in there you'll have problems fast. If each one has 100 babies that's 2000 right off the bat so if you just raised those in about 4 months you'd have 200,000 babies. I'd say start with two or three max.

Ok . I usually use 10 crays a month. I can't really set up a 55 for feeders. I'll start with 3 then and see how it works out.thanks

fadetoblack06 said:
Yeah for 10 crays a month I'd go with like 3 cause in a month you'll have like 300.

Ok cool my puffer is going to be very happy about that lol. Thank you

The only thing I hated about feeding crays is the amount of mess that occurs after the meal. There were legs, shell, and other small pieces that scatter across the substrate. Substrate never looked clean since I fed crays daily.

I haven't ever noticed any remains after I feed them and I never have to vacuum my sand but I only buy him 2 crays a week and that's probably how many I'll feed once I can get a few of these crays. Could it be because the fahaka puff has a sharper beak more for cutting and porcs beaks are flat for crushing?

I'm not sure. My fahaka like to chew and spit out and chew and spit out and then swallow.

Yea mine will crush them and swallow them . I still haven't had any luck getting some of these crays. Did you have to order yours?

I can get them from breeders in my area for $3 each. Online prices are very outrageous.

Back
Top Bottom