Molting or dying Fiddler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieNicole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I'm really worried about my female Fiddler crab. This morning when I woke up she appeared to be dead. But I'm new to this molting thing and just want to be sure. When I woke up and looked into the tank she was kind of in the open and is now laying on her back. The legs are sticking up. The bottom of the fiddler (where the white is) is opened up. I always thought when they molted they opened from the top. I don't know how long she has been like this since I just saw it when I woke up. But she isn't open enough for a new crab to come through. I'm so worried and I don't know because I read crabs shouldn't be on their backs. Someone please help me out.

It's late now but what happened with your crab?

Often there is a problem with molting when there aren't enough minerals and calcium as well as minute amounts of iodine. Which can prevent proper molting.

Do you know the KH/GH and TDS (total dissolved solids) in the tank? Is there any salt added to that tank?

It's late now but what happened with your crab?

Often there is a problem with molting when there aren't enough minerals and calcium as well as minute amounts of iodine. Which can prevent proper molting.

Do you know the KH/GH and TDS (total dissolved solids) in the tank? Is there any salt added to that tank?

Yeah, it was late but that's fine. My little girl didn't make it. I know that the hardness was really low. I've been working on trying to raise it. But I'm not sure how.

Another thing I think was wrong was in their pervious tank I had WAY to much salt for them (unaware my hydrometer was broke) the lady at the petstore told me to do a full water change but the male and female that lived in the salt water most likely won't survive the new water change because they wouldn't adapt quick enough . And she didn't. But the male is still okay as far as I can tell.
Sorry for the long reply. But back on the subject. Is there any suggestions you can give to raise the GH?

I suffer basically 0 KH and lower tds and have started using API Natural Trace for Cichlids. It has minerals needed for the fish (or inverts).

Previoulsly I was adding Calcium powder for marine aka Saltwater tanks and Epsom salts.

Another option which I don't have a specific recommended product for is used by fish keepers for dwarf shrimp keepers who use RO or RODI (reverse osmosis deionized water) to mineralize the water.

Just checked for some names for it Seachem Replenish, Kent RO Right, API, Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement, and finally Brightwell Aquatics Remineraliz-P.

You can change the salinity more gradually if there is ever any issues in the future, and maybe less shock, but this is probably an issue of not the right minerals/diet.

You can try feeding specialized foods for dwarf shrimp since they should have good nutrition for inverts / molting. Also a good supplement might be tiny bits of seaweed, there are prepared foods from marine food makers, or you can buy organic nori sheets or seaweed sheets in the foods section of the fishstores. As a supplement. They want meaty foods too since they are scavengers.

mosura mineral plus - I am sorry to hear about the loss of the one crab. Hopefully you can get the diet fixed before the other molts.

I am so bummed and just lost. I woke up today and found my other female in the same position as the one that just died :/

mosura mineral plus - I am sorry to hear about the loss of the one crab. Hopefully you can get the diet fixed before the other molts.

I'm sorry to keep bothering you but I really want to get my tank right. I just used a 5 in 1 aquarium test strip. I just wanted to tell you all the results so maybe you could tell me what hight or low for my crab babies.

Nitrate - 0
pH- 7.5
KH- 240
GH- 0

I just came from the pet store and found some liquid calcium. I'm not sure if that's what I need, but I figured it was worth a try.
And I did find some seaweed!

With inverts it is important to have calcium in the diet as well as in the water column. I would recommend getting a full test kit rather than the strips, they are not the most reliable.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With inverts it is important to have calcium in the diet as well as in the water column. I would recommend getting a full test kit rather than the strips, they are not the most reliable.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Aquarium Advice mobile app[/QUOTE

I've been feeding them Crab Cuisine, I know that has calcium for them. But I'm sure that isn't enough. They don't seem to be interested in anything else. They won't really mess with the sinking alge tablets, and they don't mess with the shimp I give them either. Crab cuisine is the one thing I see that they are eating.

Also do you think the liquid calcium will work?

Okay. So I woke up today, and my male is dead. On his back, with his abdomen open. I just don't know what to do anymore. I want to keep trying with the crabs because I love crabs. But I just have no clue what to do. I keep thinking I just need to give up on it. But I don't want it to come to that.

Anyways I still have two females that need me. But I need to know what I'm doing wrong for them.

Their pH is fine. But no matter what I do I can't get the hardness up. I've been using liquid calcium.

The hydrometer reads the water at 1.004.
Which from what I read, I thought that was good. I keep the temp between 84 and probably 79 or 76 it never gets to cold due to the light and my room is like an oven lol. Someone please give me more advice or something. I don't know what to do. :'(

Too many lives have been lost. My boyfriend told me to just keep trying because even with some fish you might lose some before you get it right. But I'm going to be honest with everyone. I have lost maybe like 5 or 6 crabs. And I feel horrible just keep getting them and the same thing happens.

Sorry for the long reply. But I'm desperate.

I would add the Epsom salt which is not really salt to the water as well. 1-2 T dissolved per gallon of water. They need the nutrition to build strong support/shells the iodine needed can come from the seaweed. Maybe add a cuttlebonef or them to pick at for calcium.

Back
Top Bottom