Mts numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deeks14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many can I keep in a 25 gallon tank I only have small fish tetras and harlequins oto's will the baby snails I'm buying be safe

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you are a heavy feeder they will breed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is there any way to tell how many are in a tank?? I see different ones but there could be 5 or 100 for all I know. I wish gps trackers were small and cheap...

Is there any way to tell how many are in a tank?? I see different ones but there could be 5 or 100 for all I know. I wish gps trackers were small and cheap...

I think they are like icebergs - only 10% are visible :)

I agree, the snails you see are but a fraction of the total. They can breed like mad, but are easily removed. However, they do a fabulous job of turning over the substrate and they don't eat plants. MTS still get my thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I always assume that if I am seeing a fair number of snails on the surface, then there are dozens and dozens more under the substrate. It's not possible to get a real handle on their numbers, but if you want fewer of them, remove adults when you see them, which will slow things down a bit. They are actually outstanding algae eaters too.

How many can I keep in a 25 gallon tank I only have small fish tetras and harlequins oto's will the baby snails I'm buying be safe

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Humans actually have very little say in how many MTS end up in your tank ;)

I got a handful for free (and a funny look, and "are you sure you want these on purpose?"). Last night I turned on the light in the middle of the night and there were hundreds of teeny ones! Now I know why I never have to gravel vac.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

My local stores always look at me funny when I mention MTS snails too. They think I'm nuts for wanting them, but they are useful creatures.

I even have a new species of these that I've found, which I hope one day to find a name for, twice the size of the usual MTS.. seems to reproduce more slowly too. I'm trying to grow a population of them.

Back
Top Bottom