My Completed 5.5 gallon RCS Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My shrimp are getting their color back! I snapped a couple pics of females I spotted today that are carrying eggs. I counted about 6 or 7 pregnant shrimp.

About the cloudiness of the water..... I changed filters and my wife threw out the old media before I could stop her so my tank is going through a mini cycle.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403299546643.jpg
    1403299546643.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 1403299586714.jpg
    1403299586714.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 156
Regarding the improved coloration, maybe it's the diet or perhaps they are getting settled in and comfortable. That's great.

I woke up this morning to most of my RCS dead on the substrate. I don't know what happened. If the ones I have left don't survive, I'm gonna clean this 5 gallon tank and put it away. I will be getting a 10 gallon to try again with all fake plants and black sand for the next try at getting a good colony of RCS. I'm sad that a lot of them still had eggs under their belly.

Shrimps are highly sensitive to ammonia. When the filter was changed, that removed most of the bacteria needed to keep ammonia levels down. If it was a new tank then it's not good for shrimps. They need aged tanks to survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well all my shrimp died off. I am now planning a new 10 gallon RCS tank.

Why get a different tank? You had a really neat setup here!

The "mini cycle" might have been a little larger than you thought, and as was stated before shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia. I would maybe just toss some food in there to rot, thus feeding the bacteria, and then test your water. When you see 0 ppm ammonia, add some more shrimp!

Good luck!

Why get a different tank? You had a really neat setup here!

The "mini cycle" might have been a little larger than you thought, and as was stated before shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia. I would maybe just toss some food in there to rot, thus feeding the bacteria, and then test your water. When you see 0 ppm ammonia, add some more shrimp!

Good luck!

That would be a good idea but all my plants except for the aponogeton have died too. I had no luck with live plants. I plan on going with a 10 gallon with black gravel and fake plants.

I don't think I've ever heard of any success in no live plant shrimp colony. I'd try moss. A ton of moss. :) those are impossible to kill. Leave your tank in a place in the house that has indirect lighting, a sponge filter and 20% weekly water change should be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is my 5.5 gallons rimless low tech tank with a HOB filter and dual T5 lighting. It is stocked with 12 red cherry shrimps, 2 otos and there would be 10 SS grade CRS in less than two days. As for plants I have java fern, java moss and crypts. If I have success with it its beacause I let it cycled with celestial pearl danios for about a month before adding the shrimps. It does 2 years now that I have this tank and I never had an issue. I think you should retry with your 5.5 but let it cycle with small hardy fish before adding any shrimps.

Back
Top Bottom