My mystery snail is floating and always on his back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SofiraCloud

Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just recently got a mystery snail from ebay (exact date: Jul 17, 2019) Maybe the size of a penny, the first day i got him he was moving around a lot but the day or two afterwards he stopped moving and was on his back. I try to move him right side up again because i dont know if they can get right side up on their own. and now its Jul 23, 2019 and I saw him floating. So im really worried. I read that the floating isnt something to always worry about. but im a worrywart so i moved him into a small container.
Should I have done that?
Should I be worried?
Is my snail dying?

:( :confused:

Hi what's your water parameters, what tank mates? Anyone nipping him? Are you feeding him? Sometimes snail's float because they're either looking for food or something could be upsetting him. Do you have copper in your tank which is bad for snails.

my tank parameters

zero chlorine, alk is 180, ph is 7.6, ammonia 2.0 ppm, nitrite is 0.25 ppm, nitrate is 5.0 ppm

he has 10? guppies that do try to nip at him but only recently when hes on his back
and do try to feed my snail, but since it was the first day i was worried about feeding him as he was just shipped and might be stressed. so i only feed him 2 days after he came
:fish1:

Hi, I think it's your water by your readings, there should be no ammonia or nitrite readings in your tank. Is it not long set up? I would do a large water change 50% then check your readings again. Snails are extremely sensitive to ammonia and nitrite and so will your guppies.

Watch incase the ammonia tabs affect your snail or fish, I would just keep changing the water daily to keep the levels down until the tank is fully cycled.

Back
Top Bottom