My Shrimp are berried! Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do rcs have develop their red? I have a lot that look almost just like miniature Ghosts...

Not quite sure what your exact question should be, looks like a word may be missing.

I had been told/read that rcs shrimplets are born without color, however, I have some teeny tiny ones that aren't more than a few days old and the females are already colored up, and the males are mostly transparent.

LyndaB said:
Not quite sure what your exact question should be, looks like a word may be missing.

I had been told/read that rcs shrimplets are born without color, however, I have some teeny tiny ones that aren't more than a few days old and the females are already colored up, and the males are mostly transparent.

I'm on my cell phone, sorry, lol. I purchased 25 rcs from Aquabid and only about half are red. Others are transparent and some are grey, I will try to get a pic for ya ;) just wondering I'd the others will eventually get red?

Typically, when you get a shipment, there are many more males than females. Lately, most of my shrimplets are females. Not quite sure what's making the difference there.

Typically, when you get a shipment, there are many more males than females. Lately, most of my shrimplets are females. Not quite sure what's making the difference there.
Just a guess here, but I know in a lot reptiles heat plays a role to the ratio of male to female, higher temps produce more of one than the other, vice versa on cooler temps, that could be a factor anyone ever test something like that?

That's interesting! If I can come up with another 10g I may try an experiment ;) I have a ridiculous amount of Subwassertang that I could transfer, better than tossing it. I just noticed A LOT more berried shrimps in there. This is exciting! Can't wait to see if I can have any shrimplets (I love that word) survive :)

AndrewsPistol said:
That's interesting! If I can come up with another 10g I may try an experiment ;) I have a ridiculous amount of Subwassertang that I could transfer, better than tossing it. I just noticed A LOT more berried shrimps in there. This is exciting! Can't wait to see if I can have any shrimplets (I love that word) survive :)

I see you're getting good advice here.

:) I would suggest a nano tank! They're so fun. But another 10 would be fun too lol.

LyndaB said:
No, females get red, the males are mostly transparent.

When you get higher quality RCS the males may have more color also.

You can start culling out the less colorful RCS once you can easily sex them yourself. Leave the most colorful males and females. That will increase the red color.

Nah, I don't care what color they are...... all shrimplets are beautiful in my eyes....... :flowers:

Sake, interesting about the temp concept.

jetajockey said:
If they are new additions I'd wait before culling out the dull ones, males tend to go clear when they are stressed.

I certainly didn't mean right away ;)

Plus, culling them meant moving them to a different tank, not killing them.

Oh...... to me, culling means killing.

to reduce or control the size of (as a herd) by removal (as by hunting) of especially weaker animals; also : to hunt or kill (animals) as a means of population control Cull - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I originally thought that too!

No, at least in our shrimp keeping when we say cull, we mostly mean take out and put into a different aquarium where the stronger genetic stock isn't kept.

:( I couldn't kill a shrimp.

I don't consider culling killing necessarily, but it does mean to remove them from breeding stock. It doesn't define whether it is a permanent removal or just temporary.

I think for most people a cull means killing because they don't have the facility to place the culls into another setup.

I just meant to wait a while for the shrimp to get settled in before bothering to do any culls since you don't have a proper platform to judge cull-worthy specimens yet.

Mine and Coursair's at the least! That's what I was referring to. We've commented on threads like this before together lol

Mine and Coursair's at the least! That's what I was referring to. We've commented on threads like this before together lol

Is that what they call a bromance? Or just brothah from another mothah..... :whistle:

erm...um...you do know coursair is a chick? Thus the ~ Tina in her sig...You're soo gonna get yelled at hahahaha!

Back
Top Bottom