my shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscarchic11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i currently have a 1g hex with 2 adult, 2 baby glass shrimp, and about 10 baby, 18 adult rcs... thought id share some pics...

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 163
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 158
  • tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 134
  • tank5.jpg
    tank5.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 147
i honestly dont remember... i got it from the pet store in a 25 lb bag... ill check the post from when i got it...

its this... i took some from my O tank... instantly cycled the little tank.

Attachments

• sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 170
ahhh estes. That stuff has some strong followers ;)

Cool tank. Love the shrimp tanks :)

i love it... esp for the little shrimp. its fine grained so they get lots of food from it. barely have to supplement @ all with crisps, and when i do its mostly the glass shrimp that go for them.

I'm impressed and inspired!

One of the teachers at my school gave me a little 3gal tank which I honestly considered throwing out .. or using it as an emergency QT .. till I got something bigger. But after watching those pics ... I might as well give it a try as a small shrimp tank. Maybe just a few RCS and Amano for now ... I probably wont start my 20gal long shrimp tank till after the new year anyway.

i love it... esp for the little shrimp. its fine grained so they get lots of food from it. barely have to supplement @ all with crisps, and when i do its mostly the glass shrimp that go for them.

What are you using as a filter? Or are you just running an air-stone? The 3 gal tank I have sitting come with some type of tube filter with airline.

it came with the tetra 1-3g air run filter and a 3 led color changing bubble ring... i run both off the whisper pump that came with it, as well as 2 other airstones for another tank (lots of line splitting). i love my little 1g hex... and am going to turn it into a 1/3 scale dalek soon... im gonna stick to rcs, as they stay small... i had issues @ first with the adult shrimp being sucked into the filter... but fixed it with some fishing line, tho i would suggest some netting over the end for anyone who has access to it. i also suggest using a fine grain sand as the shrimp seem to "suck" food off of it and its easier for them to eat any food u supplement as well as clean. i also have a colony of Malaysian Trumpet Snails under my sand.... good luck and have fun with ur shrimp...

I'm thinking I'm going back home and giving it a complete cleaning(y)! This past weekend my son won a common goldfish at a fair ...:facepalm:. The only place I could put it was in that little 3 gallon... not a chance it was going in my 75gal. I knew this was not going to end well ... those fish at fairs are just in horrible shape and it didn't even make it 24 hours ..despite a 50% PWC the next morning till I got home from work.

So I'm dumping the gravel and giving the tank and filter tube a rinse in tap to kill of any unwanted microbes. I have PFS and my local Petco's moving so they are offering killer 40% off plants. An Anubias or two should do nicely ... I'll attach it to two hand sized pieces of Malaysian DW from my trusted LFS. Only other thing I need is a light ... I'll do a simple LED strip.

my plants(anacharis) are tied to small pebbles that i bury under the sand. and apparently they like the tank cause my big female molted 2day and is sadled so im hoping for a berried female soon! my plants are also doing well and have even started to send up new shoots!

got a 2.5g 2day, it was on clearance... its a flat sided goldfish bowl... took everyone out of the old tank, put the new on together, and put them all in it... same filter, same sand, same rocks and plants, just more water... i also took the glass shrimp out (put them back in the hex with the feeder gups...) ill post pics soon of the new setup...

Before the tank shuffle...

ForumRunner_20120930_031928.jpg

After

ForumRunner_20120930_031832.jpg

My shrimp tank

ForumRunner_20120930_031815.jpg

AMAZED @ how this came out... my 2 prettiest male feeders (in 1g now...)
ForumRunner_20120930_031950.jpg

My old shrimp tank the 1g hex, now houses my glass shrimp, 8 feeder gups (2 of 4 males pictured above) and 2 feeder comets... 1 of which has 1 eye ans has been named willey.

ForumRunner_20120930_032747.jpg
From the top that side of his face looks caved in

ForumRunner_20120930_032734.jpg
His blind side. No idea what happened, this is a young fish, about an inch long, and the wound is fully healed.

Now there's a perfectly good use for a Fish Bowl! BTW those are pretty feeders ... too bad they'll be lunch soon enough. Now I definitely HAVE to get that 3gal set up ... ugh .. that means I have to dump everything's that's in it and clean out. Oh well ... wonder if I have and PFS left?

thanx both of you! i live across the street from a stone carver and he lets me take scraps so i have tons or marble and granite to put in tanks... i got my 20g back 2day... im actually going to breed the gups and keep pretty males like those 2... the rest will be feeders, but im trying to get a breeding conoly going so i dont have to buy them...

Your tanks have given me some inspiration.

I've got the 3 gal rinsing with Tap water to cleanse it ... I'm probably going to turn it into
an RCS tank. Going to my soon to be moved Petco (lost their lease) tomorrow ... hope they have some anubias I can add. I've got PFS and I figure one of those little 2-5gal heating pads should keep the water warm enough. Now ... just need to get a little LED strip for lights.

Well... my shrimp were losing their color, and i figured it was because the tank didnt have a heater, so they are in the 20g til i decide to start my lines... made a floating shrimplet/ fry thing tho... it usex to hold sand that im going to use for my sandfall in the 20g...

ForumRunner_20121005_235520.jpg
6 shrimplets floating around the tank... safe from hungry guppies...

Back
Top Bottom