Mysterious Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep finding snails in my aquariums, but my LFS told me that the nerite snails will only breed in brackish water, and they don't even look like nerites. They are about 1/2 inch long, no specific patterns or anything, with shells that are sort of pointed. I would try to get pictures, but the lens of my phone is too scratched.

At least trying for a photo will help a lot just to see the structure of the shell. Pond snails can reproduce like wildfire if not under control. And yes Nerite ONLY successfully breed I'm brackish/saltwater.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks! Now they are mysterious mystery snails! How big do they get, and how quickly do they reproduce?

No that's a pond snail. Mystery snails look like apple snails and here's a pic of one of my apple snails ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424353173.611420.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I also have pond snails in a different tank so here's a pic of those ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424353465.131286.jpg
Also their eggs ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424353597.028094.jpg all those little white dots is a baby snail ?

Lol seems like you got yourself a snail infestation.....lucky you. I wish I had one, as my puffer goes nuts for them. Anyway, if you don't want them, get a jar, fill it with aquarium water, and dump all the snails you find in there. They will reproduce and you'll have a jar full of snails! Idk, that would just be kind of cool to see how fast they can reproduce!

Nils

Yeah I might do that for some dwarf puffers I'm going to be getting.

Okay, I'm almost positive that they are bladder snails, but I don't know much about them.

Mystery Snail Question

I have 4 golden mystery snails...2 in each tank. I know very little about them, other than they have become quite active of late. They seem to expand to a very large snail...and it even looks like the shells expand. Is this what happens? At first they did nothing but sit there, but now they are all over..sticking here and there. Very fun to watch, but I'd like to know more about their anatomy if anyone is familiar. Thanks.

I have 4 golden mystery snails...2 in each tank. I know very little about them, other than they have become quite active of late. They seem to expand to a very large snail...and it even looks like the shells expand. Is this what happens? At first they did nothing but sit there, but now they are all over..sticking here and there. Very fun to watch, but I'd like to know more about their anatomy if anyone is familiar. Thanks.

They don't call them mystery snails for nothing! One of mine crawled up in his shell for a week and I was just about to pull him out that day thinking surely he died and I came home to him going across the glass. Some people don't like the snails but I think they are fun to watch and add some variety and color to the tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They are still multiplying rapidly, but don't seem to be getting any larger than 1/2 inch. I don't think they are mystery snails. Would assassin snails take care of the problem?

Back
Top Bottom