Mysterious white dots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

W1nt3rsh0wl

Aquarium Advice Regular
HELP, i haven't been able to find a source of these mysterious white dots that have been showing up in my aquarium.

For some extra information the inhabitants of the tank are: 1 zebra nerite snail, 2 guppies, ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413144485.170148.jpgand 2 neon tetras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long do they take to hatch

In a freshwater tank they probably will never hatch.

They need brackish conditions to hatch.

Ok, thank you for your response

Nerite eggs need salt water to hatch, so in fresh water, they just sit. Eventually old eggs begin to disappear, but they are always laying new ones, so you may not notice that the old ones are gone.

How do i hatch nerite snail eggs

It is not easy. They need full marine conditions and the eggs hatch into a type of larvae at first, which morph later on. I have seen a post with relatively good tips on how to do this but I think the bookmark is on my old HD, which I have not yet had switched to my new laptop. But it's out there, you may find it with a search on the topic. In any case, it takes a bit of effort and time, and you would need a separate tank for this.

It is not easy. They need full marine conditions and the eggs hatch into a type of larvae at first, which morph later on. I have seen a post with relatively good tips on how to do this but I think the bookmark is on my old HD, which I have not yet had switched to my new laptop. But it's out there, you may find it with a search on the topic. In any case, it takes a bit of effort and time, and you would need a separate tank for this.

Maybe not necessarily. Just adapt the guppies to full marine conditions. Easy enough ;)

I knew guppies could take some salt, but I didn't know they could take full marine conditions. If they can, may be worth a try. But the Snails themselves are actually tidal snails. They live on tidal flats, and I am not sure they can live in full marine tanks. The eggs are usually laid on wood or rock, so you take the rock or wood and put that in the marine tank to hatch out.
If it is possible to keep Nerites in marine conditions, they would no doubt need some time to adapt. They spend a fair bit of time in the wild out of water, when the tide goes out, so in habitat they are only submerged for about half the time. It's why they can sit on the tank edge for hours and not dry out. Be great if you are able to manage hatching some though. They're such pretty little things.

How do you make a simple marine tank to hatch them?

I knew guppies could take some salt, but I didn't know they could take full marine conditions. If they can, may be worth a try. But the Snails themselves are actually tidal snails. They live on tidal flats, and I am not sure they can live in full marine tanks. The eggs are usually laid on wood or rock, so you take the rock or wood and put that in the marine tank to hatch out.
If it is possible to keep Nerites in marine conditions, they would no doubt need some time to adapt. They spend a fair bit of time in the wild out of water, when the tide goes out, so in habitat they are only submerged for about half the time. It's why they can sit on the tank edge for hours and not dry out. Be great if you are able to manage hatching some though. They're such pretty little things.
Google "guppy reef tank" and be amazed. They can live and breed in full saltwater. Cant really say anything about nerites lol.

Back
Top Bottom