mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I got a mystery snail at my local pet shop yesterday. Can anyone give me some information about them. Do they come in certain colors mine is black ( not the shell but the snail itself) I seen black and creme color. Can I have more than 1 or will the multiply like crazy? Any info will be of a great help. I would like to get more but I'm not sure I don't want a million of these.:thanks:

Hi,
I had two mystery snails and mine did not breed, but that may have been because they were both males/females. They do readily reproduce though.
They generally do come in a variety of colors such as black and gold, but I also think ivory and blue.
Mystery snails should not eat your aquatic plants, but this might depend. They will also eat algae and fallen food. It's really cute to see them eat!
I saw my snails coming to the surface to breath with a tube from their body. Also, try to put some smooth stones on the bottom of the tank, if that's possible. These snails do produce a respectable amount of poop, and I think they get to a maximum size of around 2 inches.

Mystery snails require a male/female pair in order to breed, they're not asexual like MTS or pond snails. They lay eggs in 2-3" long strips, and only lay them above the water line, so hat when they hatch, the babies will fall into the water. In the wild, they crawl up water plants and lay their eggs on the part that is out of the water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom