Mystery Snail Compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skai

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, here's the dealio... I've been toying with the idea of getting a nice Mystery Snail for a while but I'm not sure if I should what with the tanks I've already got.

The first tank I would think to put it in is my 35 Hex, the biggest problem with that one though, is that it has pond snails in it. Now, why I say this is a problem is because while reading up on mystery snails I read that baby mystery snails get into the adult's shells and irritate the adults. The pond snails in the Hex are all small (they never seem to get very big or overpopulating oddly enough so I haven't bothered dealing with them). I'm mostly concerned that the pond snails would do this same thing and irritate the mystery snail. I don't know if they would so I'd like an opinion on that.

The second tank is a 125 gallon Angel Fish tank. Angel Fish can be a bit picky I know but mine tend to avoid snails.... to the point I had to get Assassin Snails to handle the pond snails that exploded in THAT tank. So, same sort of issue as the first except I don't know if the Assassin Snails would bother a Mystery Snail or if it would be too big for them to bother when they have pond snails to much on.

Thoughts? I really want to raise a nice big snail but I simply can't do a third tank right now so if I have to hold off on it for a while. Then I suppose that's what I'll do.

True enough low PH seems to not be the ideal breeing enviornment. But lots of extra food seems to help them get busy.

Assassin snails will feed on any snails they can get ahold of, and I have heard/read that they will eat even larger Mystery snails.

Mystery snails are great. Get some, maybe skip the Assassin snail tank though.

And unless you have really hard water (you wouldn't need it then), a cuttlebone (like for birds - no colors or flavored ones) are good for adding in some calcium to the water.

They do sometimes take a bit to sink, float crunchy side in the water, hard shell up top. After they sink, you can always set them in vertically with the tip in the sand, or let them lay sideways behind some plants, a rock or DW so you don't see them. They are kinda cool to see the ridges as the water wears away the mineral though.

Back
Top Bottom