Mystery Snail Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac1447

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone successfully hatched Mystery Snail Eggs? My Blue and Gold Mystery Snails laid eggs above water so I did some research and decided to make a snail hatchery out of Tupperware (I took one Tupperware cover, poked holes in it, poured water in the Tupperware bottom then took a second Tupperware bottom and put it over the cover and taped it on there - see photo) I read they take up to 4 weeks to hatch depending on temperature so I've had them on a shelf over my tank but it's not as warm there so I will be moving them to a warmer spot in my house. I am just curious if there is anything I should be doing differently I welcome any suggestion or insight.

Attachments

• IMG_5297.jpg
    IMG_5297.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 267
I hatch eggs all the time. But I wonder why you removed them from the spot where they were laid? Didn't want them to hatch there?

I hatch eggs all the time. But I wonder why you removed them from the spot where they were laid? Didn't want them to hatch there?

I ended up moving them because 2 of the egg clutches fell into the water while I was doing a water change and I couldn't put them back where they were originally laid. They laid a 3rd clutch of eggs a few days later but laid them right above my filter where the current is pretty fast I moved these to the hatchery I made because I was afraid that once they hatched and they made their way into the water they would end up getting swooped in the current and could possibly die. This is the first time I've had my Snails lay eggs so I wasn't sure what to do

Ok. If you want dozens of baby snails then your hatchery will probably work. A warm humid environment is all they need. Once they hatch you will need to decide what to do with them. I have a dedicated nursery tank.
They eat and poo a lot. I have been fortunate to find buyers. But if you do not have time or somewhere to home then you may want to "not" hatch.

The Nursery

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353706

Here is a link to my album when I had a 10g. You can see the shelf for the eggs in these pics. I still use the shelf in the tank for the eggs to stay above the water, warm and moist.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/104944-albums14594.html

Last edited:
Ok. If you want dozens of baby snails then your hatchery will probably work. A warm humid environment is all they need. Once they hatch you will need to decide what to do with them. I have a dedicated nursery tank.
They eat and poo a lot. I have been fortunate to find buyers. But if you do not have time or somewhere to home then you may want to "not" hatch.

The Nursery

The Nursery - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Here is a link to my album when I had a 10g. You can see the shelf for the eggs in these pics. I still use the shelf in the tank for the eggs to stay above the water, warm and moist.
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - TMaier's Album: Mystery Snail Nursery

Yours look great! I love their shell colors and your shrimp are so awesome. I am part of a local freshwater community that i could sell or trade the Snails with and have a 55 gallon tank I'd like to add some to as well. I really hope the majority survive I will be looking for a small nursery tank for these guys I read they hatch in about 4 weeks

The larger the tank the better. They are very competitive even without predators you will lose some. The more room they have to spread out the better.

The larger the tank the better. They are very competitive even without predators you will lose some. The more room they have to spread out the better.

Thank you I will keep this in mind when looking for a nursery hopefully I'll be able to post some pics soon! :)

Back
Top Bottom