Mystery Snail Gender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. I was wondering of anyone might know what gender my mystery snail is. I know they are difficult to sex, and it doesn't really matter because it is the only snail (and will remain the only snail) in my tank. I'm just curious, is all.

This picture was taken right after I got it, about a month ago. I know it's not great quality.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390492855.210811.jpg

Try applesnail.net there's a good description and pic's to help you sex them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'll only see the sex organs if the snail comes quite a way out of the shell. But apple snail site is a good one, so have a look.

If it is a female, it may lay eggs at some point, but they may not be fertile if she hasn't mated. Though these snails can hold sperm for surprising lengths of time and produce eggs long after the event itself. This comes as a surprise to their owner, when the 'single' snail produces a fertile clutch.

It looks like a female. A male will have a second tube on the right side opposite the breathing tube. Sometimes they will extend their sex organ when they extend their breathing tube and you will know if it is a male or female. A female has a round opening on the right side just under her shell. Males also have a rounder shell opening.

Back
Top Bottom