Mystery snails and CO2 injection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi all,

Got a mystery snail which seems to have an eroding shell. Not sure how to explain it but in part it seems to be thinning. The other ones don't seem too bad however I'm running CO2 injection for a planted tank. Does anyone have any ideas on if snails and CO2 injection can go together? I'm concerned the shell might be going faster than it can be repaired.

I've shifted the snail to QT in the mean time on algae duty. The shell seems solid. Tank ph normally about 7.2, kh is 5 to 6 and gh say 7 to 8. GH in tank is a little higher than tap, perhaps due to ferts dosing. Can get more precise readings if needed.

I have a tank with only java moss and snails with Co2 running and the snails are fine. Sounds more like a calcium problem.

Hi, many thanks for the reply. I do have some liquid calcium carbonate from memory or some cuttlebone I could add to the QT?

I use cuttlebone all the time available for the snails ans supplement with Kent Marine liquid calcium, magnesium and iodine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been using Montmorillonite clay to increase the calcium level. Snails in my planted tank had more shell erosion than in the plant tank. I believe the rapid plant growth is causing mineral deficiencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I never thought of that. I had a closer look at the shell and looks like the outer layer has gone in parts (as well as some chips). Added cuttlebone to the small tank and weighed it down. Added some calcium carbonate liquid to main tank. Thanks for the suggestions.

Got some red seachem fluorite on order (still waiting!) as going to pull the plants (except val I think) and redo substrate. I think I have seen montmorillonite clay at the hardware. Will check out. I'll see how the fluorite pre-washes up. If anything like the api laterite clay I assume it will take a bit but hopefully once only.

Is it worth adding shell grit or something like that to the substrate at the same time?

Last edited:
Regarding the shell grit, I am imagining it is white or light colored and the new substrate is reddish colored. The color contrast thing.
I heard fluorite in general requires a bit of rinsing.
The cuttlebone will eventually sink. I sometimes put some in the filter.
I could not find the montmorillonite clay locally so I got it on Amazon. Listed as MICROBE-LIFT CMC CALCIUM MONTMORILLONITE CLAY from Ecological Laboratories, INC. It's primarily used in koi ponds for "Pond Clarity, Koi Health, Growth, and Color". Koi ingest it and it detoxifies the water (probably through ion binding).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had to rinse fluorite and rinse and rinse and rinse to get it cleaned up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I think I'll put the cuttlebone in the filter. This one is still floating well :)

Last time I added a kilo of API laterite clay I cut back the rinsing and the tank went very muddy so I think it will be interesting to have 14 kilograms of this stuff! If the darn stuff would ever show up - I went with it as it was in stock and local but not the case.

Expecting I'll have to do some filter cleans after adding.

I've bought the clay before at the hardware store but will have to check. Will also check out online- thanks for the info. Thinking it could be good for DIY root tabs. Might try larger sun dried ones as coming into summer here. The pill capsules are ok but time consuming to plant.

I think I'll avoid the next auction at the aquarium society here. These snails were an impulse buy. Although they are great to watch motor around, between them and the plants, the fish are saying they are being ignored.

Back
Top Bottom