Mystery snails, dead or alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I bought 2 new snails for my 2 tanks that didn't have one. Both were very shut up in their shells & so far neither of them show any signs of activity however one is now floating still in its shell. I've smelled both & they have a smell but I don't think it's the horrid death smell. . . yet. I tested the water in one of the tanks & so far no ammonia so I don't think it's dead. I've never had new snails do this for this long they usually at least open up a little bit by now.

Yesterday I bought 2 new snails for my 2 tanks that didn't have one. Both were very shut up in their shells & so far neither of them show any signs of activity however one is now floating still in its shell. I've smelled both & they have a smell but I don't think it's the horrid death smell. . . yet. I tested the water in one of the tanks & so far no ammonia so I don't think it's dead. I've never had new snails do this for this long they usually at least open up a little bit by now.

Well there's still no change, the one is still floating & neither has opened in the slightest. I took them out & put them in a cup. Tested the water in the other tank tonight & parameters are all good; 0 ammo/nitrites, ~10 nitrates. I think I'll take them back.

Well there's still no change, the one is still floating & neither has opened in the slightest. I took them out & put them in a cup. Tested the water in the other tank tonight & parameters are all good; 0 ammo/nitrites, ~10 nitrates. I think I'll take them back.

Always buy snails that are moving or sucked to the wall :)) personal experience!

I have 2 in my tank. I had the one several months, the other I have had for 1 month. The newest one started floating a week after I bought him. So every day I would check on him, he had no smell but was still floating for over a week. I took him out and put him in a cup and added 1" of aquarium water for about 1 hour. I checked on him and he was stuck to the cup. So after I got him off the cup, I dropped him in the water and he sank to the bottom. He now is still at the bottom of the tank and cleaning the bottom and sides and acting normal once again. He is a fast mover, he boot scoots it all over the tank. Don't give up on them snails unless they
start smelling bad. Good luck

Snails have a protection mechanism that allows them to fill their shell with air in situations where they are stressed or feel threatened. That's why they float to the top. I had two snails do that for a couple of days and they're alive and very active snails now.

Back
Top Bottom